Rifle Scopes NF POI change.

skinney_7

Hammer down.
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com
    hey guys, i have a NF NXS 5.5x22x56 i shoot it on a suppressed SR-25, after a good cleaning i foul up the barrel while gettin her zero'd @ 100M, when i hit the AR500 anywhere from 200-1000 i use my ballistic calculator for the values i need to dial for elev, and wind, it shoots MOA when i move from one target to another. My problem is when i dial it back down to my 100M zero and i shoot after range time, to make sure i'm G2G, it seems @ least 50% of the time my 100M zero is off an inch or so, still drivin tacks so its not the gun, i have a NF 20MOA unimount and have the torque wrench so all the screws and nuts are torqued to setting, just wondering if anyone thinks its my scope? or my barrel is fouling more after shooting which is changing the impact?

Re: NF POI change.

ya its zero'd with, and i only shoot with the can. I thought about heat but its cold when i usually shoot my first group @ 100M then when i'm through with LR i wait usually till i shoot next (day or two) to make sure i'm money @ 100M.

What is the gun doing at distance the next time out? If you are off 1" at 100 are the rest of your adjustments similar to the previous session? Are you saying that all your 100 yard zeros are shot when cold? How many rds are you putting through for the zero after cleaning?

Shoot the box test, with a big-*ss target at 100y to determine whether your scope returns to zero after making adjustments up/down and left/right.

Shoot at an aiming spot in the center of that big target (like 3' square big) to get your 100y zero. Make it a 5-shot group. Then crank on 15 MOA of up, aiming at that same spot, and shoot another group. Then crank in 30 MOA of down, aim at the same spot (see the trend here?) and shoot another group. Then crank up 15 MOA of up, and shoot another group -- which is hopefully right on top of the first group you fired.

Do the same for left/right.

Along with determining return-to-zero function, you can measure the distance between the centers of the fired groups, to gauge how well the reticle movement correlates with the knob adjustments. Meaning, does 15 MOA at 100 equate to about 15" of movement at 100y?

Another thing to consider is parallax. You MUST dial out parallax error at distance, or it will screw with your results.