• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

‘Aquaman’ Star Jason Momoa Shaves Head for the Environment: ‘Tired of Using Plastic Bottles’

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

Actor Jason Momoa once again shaved a part of himself in the name of helping the environment, namely, his head.

Momoa has long been associated with having a lion’s mane of long hair, but the actor intentionally shed that image in an Instagram video on Monday to raise awareness about the use of plastics.

“Here’s to new beginnings,” he said in the post. “Be better at protecting our land and oceans. We need to cut single-use plastics out of our lives and out of our seas. Plastic bottles, plastic bags, packaging, utensils all of it.”

In the video, Momoa expressed frustration over seeing plastics in the ocean, particularly, near his home in Hawaii.

“Aww man, I’ve never even felt the wind right there,” he said while touching the side of his now shaved head.

Hair aware: U.S. actor Jason Momoa arrives to the beach during the Youth and Innovation Forum at Carcavelos beach in Oeiras, outskirts of Lisbon on June 26, 2022. (CARLOS COSTA/AFP via Getty)
“I’m tired of using plastic bottles, we gotta stop,” he added. “Plastic forks, all that shit goes into our land, goes into our ocean. I’m here in Hawaii right now, and just seeing things in our ocean, it’s just so sad.”

Calling plastic bottles “ridiculous,” Momoa asked his followers to stop with the single-use plastics.

MY HERO!!!
f***ING MORON!!

He's right that single use plastics are terrible for the environment. They really aren't as recyclable as we were told they would be.

But shaving your hair in protest is slactivism at its finest. I've long held that protest is the dry-hump of activism: you can totally claim you "got some", but you did not, in fact, get any. And shaving your hair is meaningless, especially for an actor. If it doesn't grow back fast enough for a role, makeup will just put a wig on, so there's no actual sacrifice in his protest.

If he really wanted to make a difference, he needs to find a way to get companies on board with using glass or aluminum containers (both infinitely recyclable with minimal environmental impact if they're not) and going back to paper grocery bags instead of plastic (unshredded paper recycles well, and shredded paper is compostable).

All sound and fury, signifying nothing.

He's right that single use plastics are terrible for the environment. They really aren't as recyclable as we were told they would be.

But shaving your hair in protest is slactivism at its finest. I've long held that protest is the dry-hump of activism: you can totally claim you "got some", but you did not, in fact, get any. And shaving your hair is meaningless, especially for an actor. If it doesn't grow back fast enough for a role, makeup will just put a wig on, so there's no actual sacrifice in his protest.

If he really wanted to make a difference, he needs to find a way to get companies on board with using glass or aluminum containers (both infinitely recyclable with minimal environmental impact if they're not) and going back to paper grocery bags instead of plastic (unshredded paper recycles well, and shredded paper is compostable).

All sound and fury, signifying nothing.
.... and the newly balded guy just coming out of chemo that has all his hair fall out wants to kick the dumb MFer in the nuts to show his appreciation of his act.

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
Wants to stop using plastic? Lol. Good luck, retard. I agree with the sentiment but the reality is waaaaay more difficult than some faggy attention-seeking stunt and flowery words

What a dipshit. They sell shampoo in bars if that's his biggest worry. The old lady uses them and loves it. I have had my same bottle of shampoo for probably 16 months now. I've tried to cut down on single use plastics as much as possible where it makes sense because I do think its out of hand, but a bottle of shampoo every year is about the least of my plastic worries.

Well this changes nothing for anybody. ZERO fucks given over what he does on or off camera . More meaningless posturing .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of the above and then some. from the Islands

I beat my meat for the environment today.

Instead of creating more CO2 by fucking and wasting precious time and resources to hunt down some poon, I simply handled it.

You guys can thank me later. 😁

P.s. if he really cared he would have killed himself or at least flown commercial

Reactions: The D

Instead of creating more CO2 by fucking and wasting precious time and resources to hunt down some poon, I simply handled it.

P.s. if he really cared he would have killed himself or at least flown commercial
commercial? F that. The green lobby can afford private air travel. 😳

1662585397317.gif

No but you can make wigs for cancer patients. I donated mine to Locks of Love.
That's a buncha bullshit.
If the idiots would shave their head BEFORE radiation and chemo it would grow back very quickly....and in my case thicker than before.
It's all about being vain.
Granted I still have a large patch of gray dead looking skin where the radiation hit me.....but there is hair there too.

Yeah, little self important of him to do that.

However, hate to be a contrarian, but I was spearfishing in Hawaii a few months back and it was a little disheartening to see plastic bags and a bunch of fucking masks floating in the water, maybe he should talk about that shit. So I agree some level of awareness would be nice, I don't think anyone can make the argument that retards don't litter shit up. I think the real irony is that some of the biggest litterbugs in Hawaii are native Hawaiians, some dump shit all over, like cars and sofas. I think it would be funny if he shaved his mustache with an electric shaver to protest batteries.