• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

“Budget” Custom actions

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
If you had to choose between a Kelby Atlas, Bighorn Origin or ARC Nucleus which would you choose and why? Obviously looking at “budget” friendly actions, do you know any others? Was looking at the Defiance Rebel but it seems like it starts low but can get expensive with options.

I've got a Nucleus also, but keeping my eye on Mack Brothers to release their $600-699 SA700 action they had at shot. I will try one when released. ETA was early spring, but that was before the Hong Kong Fluey!
Thanks for this info just did a quick search and they’re making a EVO stainless, might want to wait for that. Got on their website but no info yet.

Or just a straight up Tikka T3X action could be an option. Plenty of accessories and aftermarket support.

Has some popular custom action features like side bolt release, short 70 degree bolt throw, changeable bolt handle, very smooth bolt operation, and most notably the ability to use shouldered prefit barrels.

New T3X lites can be bought around $470 blued or $599 for stainless. Removing and selling the factory barrel/stock/dbm can recoup some money, leaving you a barreled action and solid trigger.

Not technically "custom" but definitely a "budget" performer

Or just a straight up Tikka T3X action could be an option. Plenty of accessories and aftermarket support.

Has some popular custom action features like side bolt release, short 70 degree bolt throw, changeable bolt handle, very smooth bolt operation, and most notably the ability to use shouldered prefit barrels.

New T3X lites can be bought around $470 blued or $599 for stainless. Removing and selling the factory barrel/stock/dbm can recoup some money, leaving you a barreled action and solid trigger.

I have thought of getting a CTR shoot out the barrel and start from there.

If you had to choose between a Kelby Atlas, Bighorn Origin or ARC Nucleus which would you choose and why? Obviously looking at “budget” friendly actions, do you know any others? Was looking at the Defiance Rebel but it seems like it starts low but can get expensive with options.
JJ Rock is making a “budget” short action. It’s on my list above the others. No particular reasons other than it being JJ Rock and I feel the price is competitive but I don’t know of any prefits being done. I doubt it’s popular enough.

I have thought of getting a CTR shoot out the barrel and start from there.

Can't go wrong with this option either. Would leave more money for optic (more important anyways) and ammo costs.

If you actually shoot, you soon realize ammo costs becomes one of the biggest expenses (or THE biggest expense)

Don't forget about all the other required gear too. I assume you're just getting into precision rifles, but many will blow their entire budget on rifle optic and leave out other important gear like Bipod/tripod, bag support, range finder, chronograph, etc.. need more than just the rifle/optic to use it effectively.

Also would be better served attending an actual (good) training course too.

Just some things to think about

Can't go wrong with this option either. Would leave more money for optic (more important anyways) and ammo costs.

If you actually shoot, you soon realize ammo costs becomes one of the biggest expenses (or THE biggest expense)

Don't forget about all the other required gear too. I assume you're just getting into precision rifles, but many will blow their entire budget on rifle optic and leave out other important gear like Bipod/tripod, bag support, range finder, chronograph, etc.. need more than just the rifle/optic to use it effectively.

Also would be better served attending an actual (good) training course too.

Just some things to think about
Thanks for the advice. I am fairly new to precision shooting (about 2 years) but have a lot of gear already. I have 3 factory rifles one soon to be re-barreled with a match barrel and 3 quality optics that can move around to any new build permanently or while I save. At the moment am just thinking of the next step.

Reactions: Harman117
Thanks for the advice. I am fairly new to precision shooting (about 2 years) but have a lot of gear already. I have 3 factory rifles one soon to be re-barreled with a match barrel and 3 quality optics that can move around to any new build permanently or while I save. At the moment am just thinking of the next step.

Understood, are you going to be using this rifle to compete competitively? Or how do you find yourself spending most of your time shooting?

Reactions: Islas82
Understood, are you going to be using this rifle to compete competitively? Or how do you find yourself spending most of your time shooting?
Not competing quite yet but would like to eventually. As if now just practicing fundamentals and having fun at the range trying out different shooting positions and tripod shooting.

Fairly limited options for tikka triggers, dont see many used tikka stocks for sale, sourcing different tikka boltfaces are spotty, have saw a couple threads of unusual bolt breakages on tikkas. I like tikkas, I've owned 2 custom ones, and dont own any now. I vote origin: 700 trigger, 700 footprint, and savage barrel threads.

Not competing quite yet but would like to eventually. As if now just practicing fundamentals and having fun at the range trying out different shooting positions and tripod shooting.

Nice, another idea would be; if you're like me you find yourself always shooting one rifle most of the time.

Maybe consider selling some of your other less used or redundant rifles off to increase your budget for this one.

Same goes for your 3 optics. You could turn those 3 optics into a Zero comp or Tangent Theta level optic.

Nice, another idea would be; if you're like me you find yourself always shooting one rifle most of the time.

Maybe consider selling some of your other less used or redundant rifles off to increase your budget for this one.

Same goes for your 3 optics. You could turn those 3 optics into a Zero comp or Tangent Theta level optic.
yea I have thought of that believe me. I have sold a couple gas guns and a pistol over the last few months. one of those rifles is a RPR .223 that I use mostly as a trainer If I’d get rid of anything it’ll probably be that, but also I have thought of getting a new barrel for it and see what it can do, its a fun gun. The other 2 are 6.5 CM and 6.5 grendel. I got a leupold mark5 HD on the CM and a Steiner T5XI on the grendel the RPR currently has a EoTech vudu 3.5-18 that I actually really like.

Reactions: Harman117
Fairly limited options for tikka triggers, dont see many used tikka stocks for sale, sourcing different tikka boltfaces are spotty, have saw a couple threads of unusual bolt breakages on tikkas. I like tikkas, I've owned 2 custom ones, and dont own any now. I vote origin: 700 trigger, 700 footprint, and savage barrel threads.
Looking very closely at the origin for sure. Now am interested in the mack bros stainless EVO and see what they offer as well.

The Tikka option overall works well for the budget mentality.

Theres lots of options on aftermarket Tikka triggers (not as much as rem700 obviously) but the factory trigger, with conjunction of aftermarket spring, makes for a great value in terms of triggers.

There's always a market for used OEM rifle parts. I've had no problem selling my Tikka stocks in the past.

Changing bolt faces isn't a required option for a lot of people. It is a good idea, but not one I would consider necessary.

There's threads on pretty much every rifle about unusual problems and such. Saying that means very little. Your justifications against the Tikka overall are pretty weak.

I'm not saying a Tikka is better than any of the custom actions listed, just simply another option that fits the budget framed question.

The Tikka option overall works well for the budget mentality.

Theres lots of options on aftermarket Tikka triggers (not as much as rem700 obviously) but the factory trigger, with conjunction of aftermarket spring, makes for a great value in terms of triggers.

There's always a market for used OEM rifle parts. I've had no problem selling my Tikka stocks in the past.

Changing bolt faces isn't a required option for a lot of people. It is a good idea, but not one I would consider necessary.

There's threads on pretty much every rifle about unusual problems and such. Saying that means very little. Your justifications against the Tikka overall are pretty weak.

I'm not saying a Tikka is better than any of the custom actions listed, just simply another option that fits the budget framed question.
I think you misunderstood a couple points of mine. On triggers, I've got 5 different options for 2 stage rem700. How many 2 stage options are available for a tikka? The factory tikka trigger is pretty good with the yo dave spring, about as nice as an old tuned rem700.
My comment on used tikka parts was regarding finding used parts to help on budget build, not selling, lol. Theres tons of mpa, manners, aics, bravo, and w3 used chassis for sale for 700 footprints, not so much for tikka. That means you will have to buy new for tikka, as opposed to used for 700 footprint.

Yep, shit breaks, but I've read several threads on here about tikkas breaking in unusual places. Just because you wish to not believe it, doesn't make it so. Short falls breaking the bolt body, lug breaking off....I'm not say tikka is shit, but I'm trying to illuminate the pathway for OP. I dont fall hook line and sinker for single products like some.

Are my points still weak, or do you understand them now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant
I think you misunderstood a couple points of mine. On triggers, I've got 5 different options for 2 stage rem700. How many 2 stage options are available for a tikka? The factory tikka trigger is pretty good with the yo dave spring, about as nice as an old tuned rem700.
My comment on used tikka parts was regarding finding used parts to help on budget build, not selling, lol. Theres tons of mpa, manners, aids, bravo, and w3 used chassis for sale for 700 footprints, not so much for tikka. That means you will have to buy new for tikka, as opposed to used for 700 footprint.

Yep, shit breaks, but I've read several threads on here about tikkas breaking in unusual places. Just because you wish to not believe it, doesn't make it so. Short falls breaking the bolt body, lug breaking off....I'm not say tikka is shit, but I'm trying to illuminate the pathway for OP. I dont fall hook line and sinker for single products like some.

Are my points still weak, or do you understand them now?

I didn't misunderstand anything, your original post was so lacking in detail and thought that you failed to convey your points.

Your point on triggers again has nothing to do with what I said. Circling back to the fact that there are more options available for the Remington 700 does nothing for your argument. Its pretty obvious that there are more options available for the Remington. Aftermarket availability was never the point.

There's a second hand market for Tikka stuff too. Just because you don't look or see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You really fail to realize the shear number difference of Tikkas out there compared to these customs. Sample sizes are so drastically different that your argument about Tikkas unusually breaking is just about as weak of an argument as any. Obviously Tikkas break like every other rifle, you acting like I don't believe that is another terrible way to counter what I said.

I don't subscribe to the notion of using a single product line either, I don't think anyone should. But your response definitely solidifies your weak ability at establishing a logical argument or rebuttal.

So because there alot of options for a 700 trigger, and options are good, and theres not alot of good options for tikka....means custom actions that use 700 triggers is a less desirable feature? Ok, lol. I've saw a couple bravo chassis and a couple tikka manners mini chassis pop up in the px section. That's just a couple, I've saw 100s of 700 footprint chassis&stocks in the px.

Dont confuse numbers. Sure there's a bunch of tikkas out there....they see 20-50rds a yr because they're hunting rifles. You take out the number of hunting rifles and the tikka number drops rapidly. How many guys are thrashing tikkas in prs or other rifle comps? I know a few, but I know alot more nuc, origins, and other customs. Yep shit breaks, rem700 bolt handles can be knocked off. What exactly fails alot on custom actions? If something does fail, a call to action maker can rectify it fairly easily. I've broke several tikka bolt stop pins, I've read threads on here of sheared locking lugs on a tikka, a gentleman's rifle rolled over on a bench and broke the bolt body where handle slides in. It got tig repaired. Beretta is horrible about parts replacement and warranty stuff on tikka, fact. Are my facts clear and concise? I dont really care if you run a savage or a tikka, op asked about budget custom actions. I gave him my opinion, you gave him yours. I still think, as does the rifle market, that 700 trigger and footprint is the best route. Argue with them, not me. Also saying I'm not giving good arguments does not refute any point I made or tried to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant
I've got a Nucleus also, but keeping my eye on Mack Brothers to release their $600-699 SA700 action they had at shot. I will try one when released. ETA was early spring, but that was before the Hong Kong Fluey!

Sounds promising, I just wish they had more information out on it!

So because there alot of options for a 700 trigger, and options are good, and theres not alot of good options for tikka....means custom actions that use 700 triggers is a less desirable feature? Ok, lol. I've saw a couple bravo chassis and a couple tikka manners mini chassis pop up in the px section. That's just a couple, I've saw 100s of 700 footprint chassis&stocks in the px.

Dont confuse numbers. Sure there's a bunch of tikkas out there....they see 20-50rds a yr because they're hunting rifles. You take out the number of hunting rifles and the tikka number drops rapidly. How many guys are thrashing tikkas in prs or other rifle comps? I know a few, but I know alot more nuc, origins, and other customs. Yep shit breaks, rem700 bolt handles can be knocked off. What exactly fails alot on custom actions? If something does fail, a call to action maker can rectify it fairly easily. I've broke several tikka bolt stop pins, I've read threads on here of sheared locking lugs on a tikka, a gentleman's rifle rolled over on a bench and broke the bolt body where handle slides in. It got tig repaired. Beretta is horrible about parts replacement and warranty stuff on tikka, fact. Are my facts clear and concise? I dont really care if you run a savage or a tikka, op asked about budget custom actions. I gave him my opinion, you gave him yours. I still think, as does the rifle market, that 700 trigger and footprint is the best route. Argue with them, not me.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

Sounds promising, I just wish they had more information out on it!

The Mack Bros steel action looks very promising indeed. Heres the thread for it if you haven't seen it already:

Reactions: Islas82 and txguero
The only action I've got experience with on your list is the Nucleus. I liked my gen 1.0 enough that I sold both my Tikkas to fund another Nuke. Only other 'custom' actions I've handled are the Ultimatum Deadline and a Cadex Tremor. The Ultimatum belongs to a buddy and was one of the earlier Deadline actions. He had a few issues including one hard failure that eventually got sorted out. It also feels much better now with the lighter firing pin spring. Having said that, I'd still get the Nuke with a 19lb firing pin spring over the Deadline any day just simply because of the features it has like the mechanical ejector and a more or less true drop in fit for 700 footprint chassis.

The nucleus are pretty neat actions, from an engineering standpoint. The origins are slick too, I dumped a tikka for mine. The crf and fixed ejector are great features on an action. Both nuc and origins allow easy bolt head swaps, alot of prefits available, and have great costumer service. Way better than some big manufacturers

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your three. I’ve played with a nucleus and they’re buttery smooth, and from what I’ve heard, are pretty awesome from an engineering standpoint. Making this decision myself soon and going to have a hard time deciding between the nucleus and origin.

As to the swapable bolt heads. I have a TL3 and I don’t think I will use this feature as much as I’d hoped (rather just have a new fully built rifle ?) but I guess I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I know a couple guys that will have a 6creed barrel/bolthead for longer matches and then a 223ai or 224valk barrel/bolt for shorter stuff. Also makes sense for a trainer rifle setup. The barrel change is easier with a shouldered prefit, than a barrel nut. That said I've got a criterion savage barrel on my origin and it's a hammer.

I don't have any personal experience with the Bighorn Origin, but I have a v 1.0 Nucleus that I got in December of 2018. I bought a barreled action from PVA with a Rock Creek button rifled barrel and put on a Huber 2 stage trigger and it has been outstandingly accurate and completely reliable, even with the original 16# striker spring. It now has almost 1000 rounds through it, mostly in local matches, and it definitely is the smoothest action that I have shot. The other actions that I have are an AI AW, GAP Rem 700, AJ Brown trued FN SPR, and Stiller Spectre, so I think I can speak with some experience about higher end rifles. Having said that, I have played with friends rifles that were built on Defiance and Bighorn actions and they were outstanding also.

I hated the Nucleus and will never own an ARC action again.

I have a TL3 and love it. A friend has both the Origin and Atlas. The Atlas is significantly smoother.

Of the options listed in OP, I would choose Atlas. But I’d probably go with Tenacity before atlas.

Another big plus for the forthcoming Mack Brothers is, there like a mile from Long Rifles Inc. I'm hoping they can drop the action there, have it barreled and then LRI can ship to my FFL. I'll ask Chad to confirm this. He just barreled a 25SST for me on an ARC Nuke 1,1 (waiting on fluting and cerakote).

I've had trued 700s, trued tikkas, a trued win 70 pre64, bighorn tl3&origin, a defiance deviant, deadline, a couple impacts, some savages, a badger 2013, 3 ai's, and an axiom. I just have ai's, deadline, origin, 2013, and an impact. The rest I felt were just meh.

20200322_121240.jpg

Origin, impact, badger