0.257 FMJ bullets for my old 1964 drilling? For home reloading

eirikheim

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2023
Finnsnes, Norway
Hi,
I bought an old drilling with two shot gun barrels and one rifle barrel. Cal 16 shotgun barrels and 6,5x52r rifle barrel. I live in Norway and the only ammunition I can find is hollow tip 117 grain from Sellier & Bellot. I need FMJ and I am looking for bullets to reload my self. This weapon was ment to be a perfect combination weapon for bird hunting and if I saw some hare or foxes during the bird hunt. But the ready to shoot ammo I find in Norway will destroy the birds.
Can anyone help me? 0.257 bullets. But needs to not destroy the old drilling. This is a weapon I bought used to try out a drilling before buying an expensive one with modern calibers. Instead of carrying a shot gun in my hands and a rifle on my back pack.

More exactly, if there are no FMJ or solids in .257, I need a bullet and load that does not destroy birds like grouse or capercaillie. That are the birds that I will be hunting and using the drilling on the late autumn days when the birds are flying away to far from me and my shot gun barrels.

S&B has factory ammo for it 117 gr SP.
Supposed to be the same as the 25/35, just called 6.5×52R in Europe as stated in Handloader Mag, with load data from 60 gr to 117 gr.
Load data on line for it, SW powders has load data also. Cast lead bullets available, but 117 gr fmj bullets are old school & would be harder to find.

More exactly, if there are no FMJ or solids in .257, I need a bullet and load that does not destroy birds like grouse or capercaillie. That are the birds that I will be hunting and using the drilling on the late autumn days when the birds are flying away to far from me and my shot gun barrels.
I've shot more grouse with a 338 Win Mag full power loads than any shotgun. Just shoot the neck, decapitates, the head flies through the air. No birdshot in the meat.
Even the 30-30 levergun works, camp meat.

• Haha
Reactions: Lange Carabine
What do you think about the S&B factory ammo for bird hunting and being able to actually eat the meat afterwards? I now that those two calibers are the same, except pressure. Could you recommend cast lead bullets?
If ya body shoot birds the hard cast bullets would be like FMJ at moderate to low velocities, you can cast yourself or buy. The lower range starting loads would be safe in any rifle in good condition. Should be easy to find a fairly accurate load, for this task.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
If ya body shoot birds the hard cast bullets would be like FMJ at moderate to low velocities, you can cast yourself or buy. The lower range starting loads would be safe in any rifle in good condition. Should be easy to find a fairly accurate load, for this task.
The S&B has a velocity of 650ish m/s. It is not flatt and drops quite quickly.

Will look into this and cast leads

Reactions: 45-90

Attachments

• 71983693860__F0D8060F-F2D6-4FF2-8B54-5F78673FAD8D.jpeg
    71983693860__F0D8060F-F2D6-4FF2-8B54-5F78673FAD8D.jpeg
    754.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9