1 mile .50 BMG's/ .338 LM

JFComfort

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
Dane, Bill, Kurt and I headed out to do some long, long range shooting today.

www.lvsteeltargets.com

1 mile to the albino elk and 3'x3' AR500 targets

IMG_1773.jpg

View through the US Optics Field Spotting Scope

IMG_1772.jpg

Barrett M99's

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

Suppressed .50 BMG

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Aftermath

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Re: 1 mile .50 BMG's/ .338 LM

Great shooting with you gentlemen today! Had a great time as always. Looking forward to the next outing. (once I get all of the grit cleaned out of every orfice of my rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a blast guy's !

Wish I were with you,hint,hint. </div></div>

Give us a heads up when you come to town! The Sako TRG .338 LM was a real stand out today. Kurt went 3 consecutive hits on the target at 1 mile!

.50 BMG suppressor!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/92XADygDnAc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/92XADygDnAc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a blast guy's !

Come on out, let us know, I will make sure I have some AMAX loaded up, LH Gina has been wanting to do some fifty cal stuff too, We can make a day of it, we have a great spot out there, nice soft sand around the target area (almost too soft for vehicular travel) Makes it nice for the spotter to see impacts and help get you dialed in (and at a mile, most of the time you can get back on the target to see your own impacts!) Good times!

If you are talking about the bullets in the video background, they are 750 Grain AMAX, they are made by Hornady and they are around $2 ea. for the projectiles. If you buy factory loaded AMAX they sell for anywhere between $5 and $6.50 ea. I believe Kurt also had some Brass solids today and I am not sure who the manufacturer was on those. I have some 800 grain Barnes Brass solids and they are around the same price.

Looks like a good time guys!

I keep trying to avoid the ELR bug, I know it would be very detrimental to my cash flow.....I'm hoping to put together a match capable short action that can do 1400ish....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a good time guys!

I keep trying to avoid the ELR bug, I know it would be very detrimental to my cash flow.....I'm hoping to put together a match capable short action that can do 1400ish.... </div></div>

7 WSM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a blast guy's !

Come on out, let us know, I will make sure I have some AMAX loaded up, LH Gina has been wanting to do some fifty cal stuff too, We can make a day of it, we have a great spot out there, nice soft sand around the target area (almost too soft for vehicular travel) Makes it nice for the spotter to see impacts and help get you dialed in (and at a mile, most of the time you can get back on the target to see your own impacts!) Good times! </div></div>

Thanks!Just PM me next time you guys make plans.I'll bring the 375CT if I still have it and/or my 30-375R.

I learned my lesson about shooting next to 50's with breaks.It's much more pleasant being behind one rather than next to one.Brings a whole new perspective to the term "eat my dust",LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are talking about the bullets in the video background, they are 750 Grain AMAX, they are made by Hornady and they are around $2 ea. for the projectiles.</div></div>
If we could just convince Hornady to make some AMAX bullets in .338 (for my son) and .375 (for me). Of course they do have that 285 gr HPBT for the .338 but no long range bullets for the .375.

I notice that you're not even getting divots in your steel at a mile (1760 yards). Is it some sort of special steel (armor plate)?

That was 1/2" AR 500 steel we were shooting at but even the 3/8" thickness will hold up to a .50BMG at 1 mile.
I was suprised that the .338 had more accuracy than the .50's at 1 mile. I noticed this on another 1 mile shooting trip I went on where I was shooting my .50 and my friend was shooting his Sako TRG 42 .338 and he was making more hits than me.
That was a lot of fun. We definatly have to go again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That was a lot of fun. We defiantly have to go again. </div></div>

I had a great time too and hope to do that again real soon. Especially since my 6.5CM is in the pits for a new tube. Just give a few days notice and i'll be there.

Id like to see a "match" grade 50 side by side against the 338s. Barrett's are fun and durable but not known for their hair splitting accuracy... or i just suck with a 50
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That was a lot of fun. We defiantly have to go again. </div></div>

I had a great time too and hope to do that again real soon. Especially since my 6.5CM is in the pits for a new tube. Just give a few days notice and i'll be there.

Id like to see a "match" grade 50 side by side against the 338s. Barrett's are fun and durable but not known for their hair splitting accuracy... or i just suck with a 50
eek.gif

</div></div>

Lets do, my rifle is in disarray right now too.

Conditions were pretty nice, we got out there early to beat the heat, (we got out by about 9:30am and it was starting to get hot already) We had a very slight wind 1-3mph, that kept changing up on us. But I was very happy that it was only a slight wind, we normally don't get that lucky, we are usually dealing with 10-15 that is constantly swirling and changing up on you. The 338 nailed the square three for three! That was pretty impressive. Dane had a great first two rounds, he sent one, dialed his correction and drilled it on his second round. Good times!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't getting any mirage off the can so I left the cover off so it could cool off quicker. </div></div>
That's awesome! I've got that same .50 without the can ofcourse and would like to try 1760yds. It takes me 25min to 1k how far do you think 51min would take me out since that's where I bottom out? When is the next mile shoot? Road trip ha! ha! Excellent shootin guys.

I dont know your setup, but that should do it, I only have about 46 minutes of elevation currently (I have some 40 moa rings, just haven't installed them yet for my Barrett) I was dialing 44 minutes and holding 10 minutes for a total of 54 minutes that day. So I think you will be in the ballpark there.