1 Mile target

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Here sits Jeff Eaton a fine gentleman and guide from the infamous Timberghost ranch in Iowa. Jeff has never shot beyond 500 yards so prior to our trip he requested I bring a little something that we could stretch the legs out on. I ended up bringing my 338 Lapua. We set out 1 afternoon for a 1 mile shot. The ammo used during the shoot was corbon 300g match grade ammo.
Our target........and 2.5 gallon jug that we painted bright orange. I set the gun up for Jeff and handed him a five round mag with Corbon's finest. Shot one range down range and appeared to go right over the top of the target. My instructions were "hold slightly lower your'e right over the top of it". I'm not calling corrections in MOA or MILS b/c Jeff isn't 100% up to speed with the math and it really just needed to be simple. So now we have shot two in the air.........same call............"hold a little lower your'e right over the top of it. This continues for the entire five shots. Thinking he blew all five shots over the target we drove down to investigate the target and find our impacts in the sand. Here is what we found:

IMG_9350.jpg

Little did we know a 300g bullet will blow right through a 2.5 gallon plastic jug at 1 mile without knocking it over. I'm still scratching my head on that one and Jeff is still complaining that I messed his group up. Either way it was a fun day at the range with some great people. Congrats Jeff for bridging the gap between 500 yards and a mile.

Rifle Specs:

APA Genesis action
McMillan A3 stock
Broughton 7.6 contour 1-9.3 5C barrel
RTG trigger guard
Jewel trigger at 1.5 lbs
US Optics SN-3 3.2-17x44 optic

Re: 1 Mile target

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Little did we know a 300g bullet will blow right through a 2.5 gallon plastic jug at 1 mile without knocking it over.
</div></div>

did it have water in it?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnX8vBBJ-Oo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnX8vBBJ-Oo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

It would of looked like this if it would of been full of water....Sorry it has shitty music

well if he hadn't kept holding lower and lower, he wouldn't have had a group. Or does he think the five shots are strung vertical because he held lower each time lol.

I would say the group would have been tighter absolutely. It's my rifle and I know what she can do. That being said it could have been a once in a lifetime group but who knows. I know we had a 338 tested at a "facility" up north that shot a 3" group at 1500 with Corbon ammo.

No the was not any water in it. I just don't know how it went through without knocking it over. Next time we'll use steel.

Group?? that isn't a group at a mile?? LOL Looks like a fantastic time. I think that smile will be there for quite a while! Jared is great people and makes great stuff, can't wait till I get home from the sandbox and play with my fat bastard equipped lapua!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say the group would have been tighter absolutely. It's my rifle and I know what she can do. That being said it could have been a once in a lifetime group but who knows. I know we had a 338 tested at a "facility" up north that shot a 3" group at 1500 with Corbon ammo.

No the was not any water in it. I just don't know how it went through without knocking it over. Next time we'll use steel.
</div></div>

3" at 1500 yards is sub 2/10ths of an MOA. I can't imagine how that can be done. Not saying it can't, just with my limited experience and watching other great shooters, can't see how that would be done. Your combo of ammo/rifle/shooter must be best in the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say the group would have been tighter absolutely. It's my rifle and I know what she can do. That being said it could have been a once in a lifetime group but who knows. I know we had a 338 tested at a "facility" up north that shot a 3" group at 1500 with Corbon ammo.

</div></div>

3" at 1500 yards is sub 2/10ths of an MOA. I can't imagine how that can be done. Not saying it can't, just with my limited experience and watching other great shooters, can't see how that would be done. Your combo of ammo/rifle/shooter must be best in the world. </div></div>

The wind can "blow you out" so why can't it blow the shots closer too? We, as shooters, are generally quick to say "oh man, the wind got me, otherwise look how close they could have been". Perhaps you got a round to ride the wind in and just happen to land at the right spot and call it "perfection" when perhaps it's just a statistical anomaly.

Bruce Baer shot a sub 4" 4 round group at on Tom Sarver's range a couple years ago. All 5 were within 6" or something like that.

Yes, world class shooters are generally involved, but it does happen upon occassion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say the group would have been tighter absolutely. It's my rifle and I know what she can do. That being said it could have been a once in a lifetime group but who knows. I know we had a 338 tested at a "facility" up north that shot a 3" group at 1500 with Corbon ammo.

</div></div>

3" at 1500 yards is sub 2/10ths of an MOA. I can't imagine how that can be done. Not saying it can't, just with my limited experience and watching other great shooters, can't see how that would be done. Your combo of ammo/rifle/shooter must be best in the world. </div></div>

A lot of times at these "facility" the guns are shot in a vise.

It was my understanding that this was shot in some standard fashion. They really didn't give details honestly other than this guy shot this group "unofficially". It was really just a sideline test after seeing the rifle in action. I wish I was given more info but I wasn't nor did I ask.

Here is a group shot with a handload 2 weeks ago in TX in a 17 knot gusting wind at 500 yards with a 208 Amax/300 WM combo: 3 shots

photo-8.jpg

The shooter is a personal friend of my and basically refused to posted it on here because he didn't want to hear all the BS

Here is a 1st round head shot at 800
photo-6.jpg

Here is the group at 1k. I believe she drifted above the tree line a little more on this one:
photo-7.jpg

All this being said it was the first time he had ever touch the rifle. This was it's first trip to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Your combo of ammo/rifle/shooter must be best in the world. </div></div>

I can't speak to the rest, but Jered's rifle work is truly world-class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is absolutely incredible! </div></div>
very much agree.

To add from my post above.

In no way do I mean to say that Jered's rifle shooting that well is an accident. Everything I've seen on here and heard from several of his repeat customers they have seen similar levels of incredible consistency... he clearly builds one hell of a rifle.

Nice shooting to boot.

the rifle must be good, but let's not forget credit to the shooter... without the right form and fundamentals, the best rifle will not group all by itself.

I will say one thing. jeff can shoot. Last time I was up there he shot 17 out of 20 flies at 100 yards with my 308. The scope was only a 1.8-10x USO. I had to help him determine bullet holes from flies with the spotter but all in all it was a fun time. He laminated the target and still has it today. He whipped it out when we were up there for this trip.

interesting article about statistics and shooting/reloading. I think bullet trajectories, even with the rifle in a vise, should vary with a gaussian/normal sort of model. So that makes this article interesting and enlightening to me. In other words until we shoot a 25 shot group, we shouldn't get too worked up about results, good or bad.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/Perverse%20Nature%20of%20SD.pdf

edit: nonetheless when I shoot a tight 3 shot or 5 shot group, I feel as if I am shooting well and accomplished something, even if I know the statistics math doesn't necessarily back it up.

I remain a frustrated mile shooter. First time out we did shocking well at 1600 yards. Recently going for 1770 yards (our mile), three of us seemed to be missing the whole mountain side. The dirt around the target was wet from day before rain. And thus you just couldn't see the hits, and we had a full value wind or more left to right. Disappointing. That's why I look at OP's results and just shake my head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">interesting article about statistics and shooting/reloading. I think bullet trajectories, even with the rifle in a vise, should vary with a gaussian/normal sort of model. So that makes this article interesting and enlightening to me. In other words until we shoot a 25 shot group, we shouldn't get too worked up about results, good or bad.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/Perverse%20Nature%20of%20SD.pdf

edit: nonetheless when I shoot a tight 3 shot or 5 shot group, I feel as if I am shooting well and accomplished something, even if I know the statistics math doesn't necessarily back it up. </div></div>
Thank you for that article, I learned all this in my statistics classes but its hard to explain to someone else that hasnt had the education but insists they are right. This is a perfect article to show.

If you can't see impact you are in for a long day. We had probably 10-15 shooters at ASC shooting at a target at 1800 ish if I remember correctly. Very few hits for the amount of lead down range. Spotting impact was damn near impossible with the wet grass up on the mountain. You either hit it and walked away with a boner or missed 50 times and walked away with your tail between your legs.

Spotting at these distances is a real issue... of course we have the challenge of the optics resolving detail that far, and then also the bullet deviations, such as they are, are multiplied by the distance traveled.

I will try to get the tail out between my legs next week
wink.gif
It's now becoming an obsession.