• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

10/22 almost done

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
Im think I am almost done. 10/22 Target Boyds Stock Bushnell scope (its gonna need some new glass) and a valquortsen trigger 2#. I just attempted my first bit of bolt jewling on this one it came out ok. How have the stock ruger target barrels compared to say a green mountain?
10-22bolt.jpg

10-22profilesm.jpg

10-220ffhandsm.jpg

Re: 10/22 almost done

Nice 10/22!
About the 10/22 Target barrel, mine should really accurate, with the right ammo.
I like that stock, but IMO the original 10/22 receiver, with only one screw to set the receiver on the stock, does not do a good job in free floating a bull/heavy barrel like the typical 10/22 ones.
If I had to pick, I'd pick either an original 10/22 receiver with fully supported barrel, or much better, a receiver with two set screws (like the Kidd or MOA) and a free float barrel.

are the kidd receivers all threaded or do they use the v-block as well. I was looking into an upgraded v-block they sell that supposedly is much tighter in the fit and really helps eliminate the barrel droop. it requires a little bit of fitting but is like $12. anyone out there ever try them? or maybe i should look at one of the supper light barrels? opinions?

AFAIK the new Kidd receiver (like the MOA) supports threaded barrels, that would be another thing really appreciated in a 10/22.

I upgraded the action screw to 1/4-20 and I am using a SS pillar bed. I also bedded the rear of the receiver and the first 2"s of the barrel. It shoots well, if the new Kidd receiver or the MOA out shoots mine I would be in awe. I am also running the same stock as you NY700.

It is not bad NY700 a paddle bit and drill is all you need (a drill press is better I did not use one). Yes I think it helped, RFC has some good info on this subject. I got a nut insert from Home Depot in SS and I can now tq the action screw to 45 in/lb. I think that is where it helps the most.