1000 yds with a Mosin Nagant ??

experthunter017

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
Virginia beach VA
Has anyone tried shooting 1000yds with there Mosin Nagant?? if you have can you share the ballistics?? and what type of load you used?? also your eleivation you had to use? and if you used Iron sights or you sportized your rifle?? Just something i want to try for fun. any help would be great.

Re: 1000 yds with a Mosin Nagant ??

If anyone looked at the comments on that video, they are pretty hilarious. Most of them say "who needs the expensive sniper rifles when a cheap mosin is so accurate at 1000 yards". I think they missed the point that accurate would be 6 inches and not 18, and doing it every time instead of catching it on video once.

Thats why 54r ammo is sold in spam cans you have 88 chances of a 5 hit string.

On the real, I shoot Mosins as well, they are a cheap and fun rifle to shoot. Just dont spend too much money trying to make it something it is not. If you can hit steel plates at 1000 with a MN, then you are either lucky or good. If you hit them with a 260 or 7 wizzle no-one gives a shit.

To OP , if you have a MN, before taking on any project, slug your bore, or get a Finn. The Finn's have 308 bores and can used the plethora of 308 bullets. Some MN's have loose bores .313 and .314, and surplus ammo is .310, so accuracy will be tough at those ranges, even more so then the fact the MN is usually a 3 moa rifle at best. If you reload you can try to use the larges heaviest bullets you can fit, something like 174 gr .311's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats why 54r ammo is sold in spam cans you have 88 chances of a 5 hit string.

On the real, I shoot Mosins as well, they are a cheap and fun rifle to shoot. Just dont spend too much money trying to make it something it is not. If you can hit steel plates at 1000 with a MN, then you are either lucky or good. If you hit them with a 260 or 7 wizzle no-one gives a shit.

To OP , if you have a MN, before taking on any project, slug your bore, or get a Finn. The Finn's have 308 bores and can used the plethora of 308 bullets. Some MN's have loose bores .313 and .314, and surplus ammo is .310, so accuracy will be tough at those ranges, even more so then the fact the MN is usually a 3 moa rifle at best. If you reload you can try to use the larges heaviest bullets you can fit, something like 174 gr .311's. </div></div>

Good info right there. I shoot MN's also but they have limitations. I have shot a ton of surplus, if you do, Russian has been the most accurate for me.

I remember on a trip to CA a while back, TG338 and myself were shooting at a range, and there was a gentleman shooting a worked over Mosin. IIRC he had pulled the cheepo bullets and replaced them with SMK's, I cant remember what scope he put on it, but he was definitely dangerous at 1k. He was hitting the steel about every other shot. By re-worked, I mean barrel and trigger work.

No precision rifle, but capable.
I have a 91/30 that had a really good bore, so I played with it.
Cut the barrel to 22", and gave it an 11 degree target crown.
Made steel pillars, and epoxy bedded the receiver into a Boyd's stock.
Timney trigger.
Adapted a Weaver Side Mount for the scope (Vortex Viper), with a low-profile bent bolt I fabbed myself.

I shoot it a 565 yards at Manatee every trip I make, along with our other "long range" rifles... It will shoot just under one minute with 174 grain (.311) SMK's over 43.5 grains of Varget. About 14 minutes of come-up from it's 200 yard zero at 565 yards.

Could it hit at a grand? Sure- with a shooter more capable than I, and an appropriately sized target.

The 7.62 x 54R has the case capacity, and the 174 grain SMK's have a near identical BC to the 175 grain .308's that are used commonly at 1K.

It all comes down to a tight, clean bore- and the necessary work. If you can't or don't want to DIY it isn't worth the $$ to pay a smith, but they are a fun, and capable project gun.

I'm about to start another one...

i shot a 237 with 7x ( out of 250) with my mosin nagant at 1000y match. Another guy their had a mosin he did ok with at the 600y match, but i forgot his score.

You want open irons at 1000y ?.... lol seriously ? dont go and buy some cheap ass scope mount.

most guys use .311 175 smk behind ~50 grains of 4350 or some other powder around that burn rate. Most velocities ~2500 fps. At 1000y its around 35-40 moa drop.

I've shot my 91/30 PU sniper at 1000-1050 before and it was about 3moa with surplus.

I had the bdc elevation turret turned to between "8" and "9". Its calibrated in meters so I suppose its not that far off.

It shoots surplus about 1.5-2 moa at 100. I'm going to work with hand loads this fall.

My Mosin shooter pretty good. Haven't shot it at 1000 but have at 400. (most I can get in my back yard range).

Its un-modified w/iron sights. I don't shoot surplus.

I use 150 grn now but I think I'll order some 174 SMKs. Bet those puppies will shoot.

I run CMP GSM Matches and I've seen some dern good shooting Mosins.

Finnish M28-30 is only one with .308 barrel. Following M39 is .310-311.
Both usually have good quality barrels, M28-30 more like a match-grade by its era standards.

My M28-30 SKY shoots well, and puts most of modern mass-produced "quality rifles" in shame with its accuracy. 54R cartrige itself is 1000yds capable, its like 308win with stereoids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shot a 237 with 7x ( out of 250) with my mosin nagant at 1000y match. Another guy their had a mosin he did ok with at the 600y match, but i forgot his score.

You want open irons at 1000y ?.... lol seriously ? dont go and buy some cheap ass scope mount.

most guys use .311 175 smk behind ~50 grains of 4350 or some other powder around that burn rate. Most velocities ~2500 fps. At 1000y its around 35-40 moa drop. </div></div>

I know nothing about the mosin, but if its 54R, which is a larger case capacity than the 308. Why is it shooting the same grain bullets as the 308 but at a slower speed?

part of my thinks its because the firing pin hole in the bolt face of most mosins is oversized , so primers tend to blank out at low pressure , so people dont shoot high velocity loads.

perhaps its just an inferior cartridge , it was made in 1891

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why is it shooting the same grain bullets as the 308 but at a slower speed? </div></div>

I did my load workup for my Mosin at about the same time as my son's Savage .308.

I didn't have a chrono at the time, but the irony wasn't lost on me that the most accurate loads were <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> the same in each rifle- 43.5 grains of Varget. Bullets are nearly identical, 175 vs 174 grain SMK's....

At that time, the range we frequented only went to 200M, so there was no need to really try to push the envelope for velocity and I didn't.

Now that I have a chrono, I am going to try to find another node at higher velocity for the Mosin. I have chrono'd the .308 load, but not the 54R load. However, the come-ups for 565 yards when shooting are identical, so the velocities must be very close as one would expect from identical powder loads and nearly identical bullets.

i built 2 of the monster mosins that were the fad in '10 and '11 that used a uk59 machine gun barrel prechambered in x54. i pulled one out of the back of one of my safes where it sat since feb 2011 and started working with it again and it is still fun to shoot, im still experimenting with the 174g smks and im at 50.0g of imr4064 in ppu cases with cci primers. absolutely no pressure signs . the pu load listed is for my 1943 izzy and 1944 tula pu snipers, its 46.5 g imr 4064 under a hornady 174g rn .312 or 180g spitzer .311 sierra bullet used interchangeably out to 300 yards (longest i tested the pus to) and tracks to the pu distance knob. these pics are from feb2011

Attachments

• custom mosin 001.jpg
    custom mosin 001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
  • custom mosin 002.jpg
    custom mosin 002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 40
  • custom mosin 006.jpg
    custom mosin 006.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I witnessed a (cute) female shooter putting 9 rounds out of 12 with a stock 1937 Mosin-Nagant at 960 yards, iron sights, shooting surplus ammo, at the Boulder City range, near Vegas, NV.
She was complaining that her eyes were not as good as they used to be; the 9 rounds were on target, covering an area of about 2 x 3 feet. Not a precision rifle by today's standards but I would not stay in front of it at a 1000 yards. After talking to her for a moment, I found out that she used to shoot for the USSR/Moldavia Junior National Team. I must say that she had some pretty good left overs of her training.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire