• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

1022 Feed Problem

Huck1969

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2009
California
I hope one of you 1022 experts can help me.
I have two 1022 target rifles and one of them just started having a problem feeding rounds from the magazine. Every time I put a loaded mag into the rifle with a closed bolt, and cycle the bolt, the round picks up from the mag and gets stuck half-way into the barrel. It also won't feed it I insert the mag with an open bolt and reIease the bolt. I have tried three different mags and three types of ammo. I have cleaned the action extensively and the barrel with solvent. The other rifle will eat the same ammo out of the same mags with no problem. Any ideas?

Jim

Re: 1022 Feed Problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from my experience, the best 10/22 mags are the stock 10 rounders. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more. the stock mags are built the bet for the job. i see that you have cleaned the gun extensively but watch this video, it will help alot i think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek4_iFVoKdo

Thanks for the link - I saved it. I'm not having any troubles with my magazines but if I ever should, this is a good video to have.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huck1969</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope one of you 1022 experts can help me.
I have two 1022 target rifles and one of them just started having a problem feeding rounds from the magazine. Every time I put a loaded mag into the rifle with a closed bolt, and cycle the bolt, the round picks up from the mag and gets stuck half-way into the barrel. It also won't feed it I insert the mag with an open bolt and reIease the bolt. I have tried three different mags and three types of ammo. I have cleaned the action extensively and the barrel with solvent. The other rifle will eat the same ammo out of the same mags with no problem. Any ideas?

Jim </div></div>

What type of magazines are you using, Jim?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the link - I saved it. I'm not having any troubles with my magazines but if I ever should, this is a good video to have.
smile.gif

</div></div>

no problem. ive save that video for years but have never ever needed to use it either.

On a side note. Here is a mag they say works great...

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-machined-aluminum-steel-magazine-ruger-1022-p-212.html

I have the volquartsen version for my 10/22 mag. it's pricey but the choices for good mags are limited...

Happened to me once, with the stock magazine. I had opened it up for cleaning, and I did not put it up back correctly. The tension on the spring was not enough, and the last rounds did not feed correctly.
Did you take apart the magazine for cleaning?

You may try checking the bolt to make sure that the firing pin in not stuck out. I had a brand new rifle that did the same thing and once I got a round chambered it fired on closing the bolt. After taking it apart I found that the firing pin was froze up, and had to take a lot of convincing to remove it. After it was freed up everything worked great.

Thanks for the link and all the helpful suggestions from all responders. I watched the video and several others, including those made by Ruger. I took the rifle completely apart, cleaned everything and reassembled (with some difficulty getting the bolt handle and spring under the bolt). It now feeds but seems to need a little nudge on the bolt handle to chamber the first round out of the mag. I'll take it to the range with a box of CCI Mini Mags and see. Thanks again.

One thing that I did to mine that helped feeding problems was polish the inside of the receiver and the bolt. Started out with 300 grit sand paper, worked out all the casting lines and cracks. Then I moved up to 600, 800, 1000, and 1500. I also did the same thing with the bolt. Made a big difference and both looked like a mirror when I was done.

Had the same problem with an aftermarket mag. The little pegs on the front and back that lock the mag in on the many aftermarket mags are plastic and after a lot of use they wore out and you could feel that they were a little loose in the receiver. This made the mag sit to far down and caused the feed problem. To verify all that you need to do is to apply a little upward pressure to the mag while cycling the bolt and see if it works. I now use the steel lip version of the mags and the stock ones and have not had a problem since

Changing recoil/recocking mechanism force requirements can have a negative effect on cycling and extraction/feeding. Typically if the force requirementis too high, or the ammo lacks energy (standard velocity/match ammo), stovepipes and misfeeds can result. Increasing the force requirment may make it necessary to shoot higher energy ammo to ensure reliable cycling.

If this occurs, one fix involves Dremeling the lower rear corner of the bolt (where the hammer rides during recocking) to establish a larger radius. This reduces the hammer cocking force requirement to compensate for increased recoil spring force.

Take it in stages, it is definitely possible to overdo this.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huck1969</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope one of you 1022 experts can help me.

Jim </div></div>

I use the 10/22 a lot. By that I mean I buy ammo by the 5000 round case and usually go through one a year, sometimes more.

I have had feeding problems like you describe for three separate situations.

1. After market magazines suck. The best of them work ok for a few hundred rounds but will give you trouble eventually.

2. After many rounds (I never counted but educated guess of between one and two thousand rounds) even the factory magazines accumulate enough crud and start giving me the problem you describe. A good cleaning restores like new performance if you do a dissemble and get everything squeaky clean.

3. I bought several of the Ruger factory clear magazines and the ones I have (4) caused problems from the start. The problem is too close a fit of the rotator in the magazine. This was fixed by using 400 grit sandpaper.

Good luck.