115 dtac freebore

Jcarpenter223

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
So I’m toying with the idea of running 115 dtacs in a 6 dasher. Varget, Impact action, otm bottom metal with mdt 6 br mags. Does the hide think .185 freebore would be getting into an area where rounds may be too long for mag, or not enough bearing surface into the lil bitty neck of the dasher case?

For that matter what about .130 fb? Too short? My buddies that run dtacs have .170-.180 but in gt. So I dunno if it’ll be ideal for dasher

I don't have a dasher, but I have shot 115 Dtacs. In a .243 Criterion barrel I had to shorten them .120 or some crazy number to get them to fit and feed from MDT magazines. They shot great. 5 shot group of about 10 inches at 1,000 yards.

Honestly I am not 100% sure. I seem to remember I painted a bullet with a sharpie and loaded it long, pushing the bullet back a little at a time until the bolt closed and then pushed it back another .002 to start with. It shot good but would not fit in a magazine, so I shortened them until they fit. Sorry I don't have exact numbers.
Just an FYI, I also shot 115 Berger VLD hunting bullets with the same length and powder charge. They shot the same size group. The Bergers shot about a foot higher than the Dtacs. The Dtacs were the coated ones, so they probably were a hair slower. I ended up shooting Bergers just because the Dtacs were not available when I was ready to order a few hundred.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Honestly I am not 100% sure. I seem to remember I painted a bullet with a sharpie and loaded it long, pushing the bullet back a little at a time until the bolt closed and then pushed it back another .002 to start with. It shot good but would not fit in a magazine, so I shortened them until they fit. Sorry I don't have exact numbers.
Just an FYI, I also shot 115 Berger VLD hunting bullets with the same length and powder charge. They shot the same size group. The Bergers shot about a foot higher than the Dtacs. The Dtacs were the coated ones, so they probably were a hair slower. I ended up shooting Bergers just because the Dtacs were not available when I was ready to order a few hundred.
Yea that was something I didn’t initially take into account was mag length. I have some accurate mags without binder plates that I can buy a dasher br kit for but not sure if that will be any different of a result.

Not the dtac but the 115 rdf in a normal .120 throat shoots fine and feeds fine for me. I dont mind stuffing the bullet a little deeper in the case because I wouldnt start compressing varget until Im way over pressure anyways. 32gr of varget leaves more than enough empty space.

33 gr of h4350 will take up more space than the bullet can manage at that throat length but I was only trying that to see if I could, so Im not too chapped about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Not the dtac but the 115 rdf in a normal .120 throat shoots fine and feeds fine for me. I dont mind stuffing the bullet a little deeper in the case because I wouldnt start compressing varget until Im way over pressure anyways. 32gr of varget leaves more than enough empty space.

33 gr of h4350 will take up more space than the bullet can manage at that throat length but I was only trying that to see if I could, so Im not too chapped about that.
Good info. I’m just trying to get ducks in a row before I have a chamber cut and then find out the hard way that rounds won’t work with a certain jump or freebore and now I gotta hunt for mags that do work or whatever the case may be. I’ve talked with Busch man and he runs his dasher with 150fb and stays with Berger 105 or 109 though.

In 6mm GT I'm using an Alpha Legacy carbide reamer with .170 freebore. Lots of room. I then run about a .040 jump. It's shooting well, under .5" Running .120 freebore, at least in this calibre, would be doable but a bit crowded.

And you can get DTACs pre-coated with hBN.
Yea my buddies are running a .170 fb in their gt as well with about that same jump and they thump. So a .135 fb doesn’t sound terrible I just hope the .185 wouldn’t cause me to run in to feeding/mag issues

I’m running 6GT but it’s pretty close to the Dasher as far as freebore situation, and I’d pick .170+ over the usual .120 every time (.120 works though).

As has been said, loading so they’ll fit in your mags is the biggest issue you’ll run into… and IDK if that’s even an issue since IME DTACs shoot great whether 20 thou off or jumping 100 off.