1200+ meters, 6.5CM vs 300 Win Mag

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
OK, I'm in the UK so any advice has to be in the context that there is very, very limited range of factory ammunition available.

Looking for a new rifle which can shoot 1200 meters regularly and also work at a mile occasionally. I want to use factory ammo for 1200 metres; I may reload or get someone to reload for me for the mile. I shoot regularly at 900-950 metres now with a .308.

Because I want to use factory ammo and with limited ammo availability, my options are really only 6.5 Creedmoor or 300 Win Mag.

What do you think out of the two?

6.5CM would work out better for me, provided I'd still be able to see the bullet splash at range.

What should I be looking at for barrel length? Have seen some velocity-by-the-inch tests on the 6.5CM which look to me like it develops maximum velocity out of a 24" barrel and longer doesn't get you any faster.

If those are your only two choices...and you regularly shoot 1200 meters an in....I'd take the 6.5cm in a heart beat. Without the limitations...I'd have said 300PRC...but ammo availability and costs per round...and other factors...puts the decision pretty easily for the 6.5cm.

You may find that 6.5cm at 1200meters gives you that same feel as the 308 at 800 meters....and that failing off in accuracy from 800 to 1000 meters in the 308 will repeat itself in the 6.5cm when you stretch beyond 1100 meters. My protégé shoots his 6.5cm out to a mile at Thunder Valley every time we go. Yes, it is hard for me to spot his hits under certain lighting conditions...but on an 18" plate (45.72cm) he makes around 40% hits and he's getting better on his wind calls. If you shoot by yourself...it may get frustrating to spot your hits...but if the ground is dusty you will see your misses quite easily.

Also...if you shoot 308 you will prefer the feel of the short action on the 6.5cm, magazine compatibility and if you decide to reload...the ease and similarity of the 6.5cm to the 308. Not to mention a big difference in recoil.

In my oh so humble opinion...there are some incredible factory ammo options for the 6.5cm.......but the 300wm with the factory limitations of over all length to stay within specs....you can't take advantage of the 300wm's potential for ELR unless you reload and dial in your ammo for your particular rifle....hence the rise of the 300PRC.

Which ever you choose....shoot well and have fun.

Do you have an energy on target requirement?

If no and with everything else you listed, 6.5cm from me as well.
No, no energy requirement, other than sometimes I will be self-spotting so a bigger splash will be easier to see. Also remember this is the UK.... stuff is often wet so you can't always rely on a nice dust cloud from dry ground.