1200 Yard Setup - Advice

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Just got access to a 1200 yard range in my area. Im selling my RPR mostly because I cant stand the quality, its ugly, and heavy. I enjoyed the Tikka TAC A1 but cant stand the TIKKA Mags. Will a 20" 6.5 creedmoor do the job or is that pushing the limits of the setup? Should i step up to 6.5 PRC? Current thoughts:

1. Tikka CTR 20" 6.5 creedmoor and throw it into a KRG Whiskey chassis. This would be ideal as it gives the ability to shoot cheaper plinking ammo with friends etc. Love the quality of tikka (smooth bolts etc..) and have proven accuracy. This is what I'm leaning towards

2. Beragara HMR PRO in 6.5 PRC. Also thrown into a KRG whiskey chassis.

3. Christensen Arms MPR in 6.5 PRC - This would be a lighter weight setup than the above and roughly the same price. Not sure what people think of them

Any other recommendations?

If you want to optimize for hit probability the bergera with a 26" barrel in 6.5 prc is a good option of the rifles you mentioned.

For a 1500 budget I'd shop the px for a factory action based 6.5 creed w/24"+ low mileage bartlien or similar barrel chambered by a competent smith. It won't be optimal for 1200 as compared to a prc, but it should help you get better velocity spreads than a factory barrel can, which quickly become important at long range.

Lots of forum members have plenty of good things to say about Tikkas; I would also go 6.5 Creedmoor for the reasons you give. Unless you have a particular need for a 20” barrel, I would suggest getting a 24” or 26” to gain a little more speed for the jaunts out to 1200 yards. Since you are going to part the rifle out and use a chassis, you might consider getting a good entry level action, like the Bighorn Origin, and buying a shouldered pre-fit barrel from someone like Keystone Accuracy. Spin on the barrel, install a trigger of your choice with a couple of pins and then drop it into a chassis. It may cost a little bit more but you will have a better system in the long run with components where you have a choice.

Good luck with rifle, enjoy the journey.

Any other recommendations?

Don't send a boy to do a man's job.
.300 Norma all the way😉
655C076F-24BC-41DA-9D93-BFD455B47BF8.jpeg

I was out with my CTR yesterday and once I was on at 1300 had no problem staying on target. Factory 6.5 rifle with trigger spring and chassis with 147g eld m and 41.56g on H4350. Feel like a PRC could make it too easy.

Reactions: wildcats
I walked my Tikka Tac A1 out to a mile. 1,200 yards was no problem. I'd go CTR in the KRG, but I'm partially biased :censored: another good option would likely be a complete rifle from GA Precision, MPA, Alamo Precision Rifles. They have a couple in stock rifles that are around $3000. Realistically the Tikka will cost somewhere around there once it's all said and done.

The 260 is coming out to play tomorrow
We’re expected some interesting winds tomorrow like today.

I took my 6 BRA out to an 850 yard private range today. Low winds and hot. I got bored - that rifle just doesn't miss unless there's some strong wind. I did find out that they're putting a shooting location with a target at 1400, so that will be fun.

Guess I just don’t get it. 243 is cheap as hell. Feeds perfect and beats just about every 6mm out there for performance. I’ve shot so many 1/4 moa groups at half mile I don’t even bat an eye anymore. Dam thing is a point and click round. Components are cheap and always in stock. Maybe I’m missing something

Reactions: JOS
Guess I just don’t get it. 243 is cheap as hell. Feeds perfect and beats just about every 6mm out there for performance. I’ve shot so many 1/4 moa groups at half mile I don’t even bat an eye anymore. Dam thing is a point and click round. Components are cheap and always in stock. Maybe I’m missing something
Problem with 243 is no factory options with appropriate twist barrels for so many years and it’s not new.
With the right barrel twist it’s a great option.

I’ve had great success with Winchester 243 brass necked up for my 260 for years.
I still have about 8 bags of it I bought before Obama for a awesome price.

Reactions: jasent

the BRA will do everything your 243 will with 8-10g less powder...UNLESS...were talking running over 3000fps so how is your 243 cheaper?
also...unless my math is off...which is possible...your saying you shoot 2.2" or 1/4MOA groups at half mile or 880yds all the time...so much so that its boring?

the BRA will do everything your 243 will with 8-10g less powder...UNLESS...were talking running over 3000fps so how is your 243 cheaper?
also...unless my math is off...which is possible...your saying you shoot 2.2" or 1/4MOA groups at half mile or 880yds all the time...so much so that its boring?
Technically it is 835 yards(home range) and I didn’t say it was boring just not surprised. Yes often 2”. One time it was 1” but I figure that was dumb luck!
Yes 115’s 3150

Reactions: 47guy
Technically it is 835 yards(home range) and I didn’t say it was boring just not surprised. Yes often 2”. One time it was 1” but I figure that was dumb luck!
Yes 115’s 3150

so im not trying to bust your balls im just pointing a few things out here...115s out of any 6mm at 3150 is not cheap...your deep into barrel burning territory at those speeds and unless your running better brass(and even then)its hard on brass...i shot 5 6creedmoor barrels and 115s at 3050-3075 1 barrel went 1700 rounds the others between 1200-1500...my last 6CM barrel i was running 105s at 3230 it was done at 758 rounds.

ive got 1400 rounds through my first 6BRA barrel ive only lost .012 out off the lands as of last night and according to my 1083yd dope i have not lost any velocity(i shoot that distance every weekend)with the same load for the last 1350ish rounds.

as far as your 1' and 2" groups at 835yds...thats impressive...ive shot a couple of small groups myself and they surprised me...every time.