• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

15.1" Lilja Recce Barrel

ingEneer22

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2018
Working on a NSW Recce build and just got the barrel I ordered from Lilja. I ordered their 15.1" M4 Recce profile barrel in .223 Wylde. Shipping was lightning fast but king of disappointed when I opened the package. The barrel itself looks to be very nice but the M4 extension is one of the roughest I've ever seen.

- The M4 feed ramps aren’t centered (see the blue circles on the pic)
- There is material behind the lugs still (see red arrows)
- The chamfer around the lugs is off center
- Generally poor machining, seems unfinished, especially around the feed ramps. (see the green circles)

I reached out to Lilja and they pretty much acknowledged the problems and said that they switched to new style of machining this spring and that I had one of the old M4 extensions. They said go ahead and install it and see if you have any issues...that just doesn't sit well with me. For a $575 barrel, one should expect better. I asked to return the barrel and have a newer M4 extension installed on it, still waiting to hear back.

Has anyone else had any issues with Lilja barrels, specifically the M4 extension? If they are unwilling to resolve the issue, I will be looking into other options. Any recommendations out there? I know Craddock has a few options and a great reputation.

IMG_3587.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: LRRPF52
Working on a NSW Recce build and just got the barrel I ordered from Lilja. I ordered their 15.1" M4 Recce profile barrel in .223 Wylde. Shipping was lightning fast but king of disappointed when I opened the package. The barrel itself looks to be very nice but the M4 extension is one of the roughest I've ever seen.

- The M4 feed ramps aren’t centered (see the blue circles on the pic)
- There is material behind the lugs still (see red arrows)
- The chamfer around the lugs is off center
- Generally poor machining, seems unfinished, especially around the feed ramps. (see the green circles)

I reached out to Lilja and they pretty much acknowledged the problems and said that they switched to new style of machining this spring and that I had one of the old M4 extensions. They said go ahead and install it and see if you have any issues...that just doesn't sit well with me. For a $575 barrel, one should expect better. I asked to return the barrel and have a newer M4 extension installed on it, still waiting to hear back.

Has anyone else had any issues with Lilja barrels, specifically the M4 extension? If they are unwilling to resolve the issue, I will be looking into other options. Any recommendations out there? I know Craddock has a few options and a great reputation.

View attachment 8472239

Yeah that looks like shit

@ingEneer22

Thanks for posting that picture and the detail. Please do follow up and let us know how they handle the return.

I’ve never bought from Lilja but was considering them for a Grendel build. This post gives me pause. Perhaps I should look elsewhere.

My Service Rifle barrels in 5.56 from CLE AND WOA have been excellent. Nothing like the picture you posted.

-john

Reactions: ingEneer22
Have you given them a chance to correct it before blasting them?

Every company out there puts out some stinkers at times.

I'm sure they will make it right if you ask them
As stated above, they told him to install it and run it. The question I have for you, would you invest your time and expense to complete that build and test it based on the pictures of that barrel extension? Would you have concerns about any long term issues that may arise in the future?

Apparently, this barrel extension issue is not isolated.

Have you given them a chance to correct it before blasting them?

Every company out there puts out some stinkers at times.

I'm sure they will make it right if you ask them
Of course, and this was not intended to be a Lilja blasting thread. If they make it right, I will certainly let y'all know. And yes, even the best companies put out stinkers from time to time. It's what they do to make it right that sets the the professionals apart.

My last email from them stated that they don't see anything that would cause any issues and that I should go ahead and run it.

I lost track of how many Lilja barrels I had come through my hands for group buys that guys wanted Cerakote work done on back in 2014.

I never saw an extension look like that. They were all some of the best extensions I’ve ever seen, maybe BAT Machine.

That extension looks like it didn’t make it to the tumble-polish process, which is what a lot of upper-brow barrel makers have been doing. That should never have left their internal QC before even getting to shipping, and is not consistent with anything I’ve ever seen from the company.

Reactions: ingEneer22
I lost track of how many Lilja barrels I had come through my hands for group buys that guys wanted Cerakote work done on back in 2014.

I never saw an extension look like that. They were all some of the best extensions I’ve ever seen, maybe BAT Machine.

That extension looks like it didn’t make it to the tumble-polish process, which is what a lot of upper-brow barrel makers have been doing. That should never have left their internal QC before even getting to shipping, and is not consistent with anything I’ve ever seen from the company.
That’s reassuring. I hope they make it right, so far it’s been 5 days since I’ve heard anything back from them.