1500 with 7 rm and 6.5m? Possible ?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Will a 7 rem mag with 162 Amax or 6.5cm with 140s have any chance of hitting a ispc at 1500?

They both go transonic before 1500. Thanks

D4592340-B5AC-42B8-A628-E27C729A8261.png
    D7E39C63-1417-4E30-A529-A390E49ADFDE.png

I’d easily shoot both at a mile even.
    Here’s my 260 load.
    This thing does surprisingly good at a mile
    View attachment 7217673

I’ve also done fairly well with a 6.5cm 20”barreled gasser at a mile a few times.

Hello, perhaps fill the OP in on what your conditions are for that chart. 1500 yds @ sea level with an ambient temp of 32 degrees F is different than 90 degrees F @ 6000' with a DA of 11000'. Not tryin to overstate the obvious here...

G.

Hello, perhaps fill the OP in on what your conditions are for that chart. 1500 yds @ sea level with an ambient temp of 32 degrees F is different than 90 degrees F @ 6000' with a DA of 11000'. Not tryin to overstate the obvious here...

G.
    I shoot at elevations of 900-2400 and DA of 500 to 4500 so not high mountain conditions.
    I have one spot at 6500 but haven’t been there in a while.

Reactions: deersniper
    I'm on the beach and 1420yd with 7rm/168 berger has been 1st or 2nd shot hits on a 20x30 plate. I'm running it @ 3030 with ES of 9 sd of 3 over 5 shots. My 308 though I have hit it with 178eldms and 150 lehighs but it's more like an 11c that hasn't made the c part of his mos yet. Have not hit it with a 168 though.

I'm new at this sport but based on my readings, there are many variables that will make 1 mile shots difficult and it gets harder further away...

Your cartridge ballistic will tell you how fast the bullet is travelling at yout 1 mile target. It must be supersonic (faster than the speed of sound of 1130 feet/sec). The faster the better but that means a bigger caliber, biger rifle, $$$$$....

If your bullet is just at transonic at 1 mile, it can still be done but there are variables that will work against you at that distance. Below transonic, you cannot predict the bullet's path because it is tumbelling and not aerodynamic anymore.

Consisency in the powder load. This is why lots of shooters reload so they can control the amount and type of powder. But you can get good consistency even if you use factory loads. Lots of shooters want ultimate consistency.

The air resistance between you and your target will affect the bullet trajectory (Drop in inches). The temperature, humidity, altitude (air density)......then there is the wind that can change between you and your target. The wind alone is a hard one to deal with

Weird hings like the rotation of the Earth. Are you shooting from east to west or from North to South ?
    If I remember correctly, a North/South shot will be affected by the Earth spin and the further your target is, the more important this becomes. And then there is bullet spin that takes your bullet away from a straight line. Will it go with or against the wind ? Are you shooting down at an angle or is your target Parallel to the ground ? This one will need to be accounted for in your distance elevation ajustment

These are environment effects but there is also the shooter. How is your trigger pull ?, hold ? Breathing, Are you sitting or prone, bipod/monopod or bag ?

How well calibrated is your scope ? Did you test it to make sure this important variable is under control ?

All this is theory to me and I look forward to the journey getting to shoot that far. All those variables will need to be experienced and tamed to be able to say " I did it " !!!

Then the hard part......How often can I do it !!.......and there lies the fun in our sport :giggle:

I remember when that was gospel.
    168SMK go retarded at 900 yards?

I've seen it happen with 168 AMaxes (Edit: in a 308) at sea level in the winter time. 800? Boringly consistent. 900? Good freakin' luck.
    Switch to 178s? 900 was boringly consistent again. TS range on the 168 that day was about 840-850.

If your bullet is just at transonic at 1 mile, it can still be done but there are variables that will work against you at that distance. Below transonic, you cannot predict the bullet's path because it is tumbelling and not aerodynamic anymore.

This entirely depends on projectile, and twist rate may play a factor in some cases. I've launched plenty of stuff beyond TS range that tracked beautifully with no tumbling or problems, and I have seen other stuff go completely short bus at TS range because of what you described. For example, I've shot my 6 Creedmoor to a mile when TS range was ~1400, my 6.5 SAUM to a mile when TS was ~1500, and my 223 to 1350 when TS was somewhere around 1k-1100 (can't remember). All of those were done at 200ish feet altitude with Hornady ELDM bullets.

Thanks for your input Hollywood 6mm !

What I'm missing is field experience. All I have currently are some theories gathered from books.
    Once I get my rig, I will learn more.
    Education is not free. You are going to spend money, time or both. Get good quality instruction to start off correctly. Trying to unlearn bad habits lengthens the time you will spend progressing to your goal. Enjoy the ride and take notes every single time and it won't take long at all!!!

I’ve taken 6.5CM past a mile, and have seen others take it to 2020. 1500 with a 6.5 isn’t hard, and it’s a chip shot with a 7 mag and the right pills.
    7mm 168 Berger VLD's and 168 Matchkings moving at 2950 will do the job quite well. Bergers have a better BC, but SMK's will git-er-dun. Should be somewhere between 13-15 mils elevation depending on DA.

What about the 95 grain Hornandy 6.5 creedmoor ?
    It zips out of the barrel at over 3000 feet/sec but it's a featherweight so I'm guessing it's speed will help it reach a target 1 mile away and it's BC seems to suggest it can do fairly well under a 10 mph wind

Reactions: Woodbubba
    What about the 95 grain Hornandy 6.5 creedmoor ?
    It zips out of the barrel at over 3000 feet/sec but it's a featherweight so I'm guessing it's speed will help it reach a target 1 mile away and it's BC seems to suggest it can do fairly well under a 10 mph wind
    That Bc is horrible. The lower bc also means high drag so the bullet will slow down more.

E79B724F-C955-41B8-9060-19FAD6AA89E2.png
    5C3D8F06-68C8-4FC6-867B-477263812568.png

On Saturday, DA 4800, 6.5 CM, 147 ELDM, 2747 fps. 1530 yards was routine. Next target out was 1 mile. Deep snow and looking south it was impossible to hear or see hits. But 1530 ?

I shoot 147’s at a similar speed, in good conditions hits past a mile are totally doable but spotting is often difficult.
    I’ve hit steel numerous times and not even been able to tell at times even with top level spotting scopes.

It’s totally fun though and sometimes you can hammer on the mile plate with it Like a boss.

Thanks for the data Deersniper !
    Big changes in drop and windage to 500 y and horrible numbers at 1000 y and 1500 yards......
    I guess the takeaway is to use the highest BC in the chosen bullet caliber and not accept anything under .5 BC (G1).....especially for these very long shots

Man...The devil really does hide in the details o_O

My buddies 7RM w/ 180 VLDs out of 28.5" 1:8.5 twist tube yielded 2935fps with no pressure signs. At 1500, he was smashing steel pretty easy all things considered. The 1033yd plate wasn't even a challenge for that monster. 162 AMAX is kind of old tech but will still make the trip pretty well.

6.5s should be able to hit the plate within 5 or 6 shots at 1500 given the correct pill and driver combo; of course that's in a manageable wind.

My buddies 7RM w/ 180 VLDs out of 28.5" 1:8.5 twist tube yielded 2935fps with no pressure signs. At 1500, he was smashing steel pretty easy all things considered. The 1033yd plate wasn't even a challenge for that monster. 162 AMAX is kind of old tech but will still make the trip pretty well.

6.5s should be able to hit the plate within 5 or 6 shots at 1500 given the correct pill and driver combo; of course that's in a manageable wind.
    What size plates?

Needs a new driver if you’re not hitting with 2-3 shots absolute tops in normal conditions on a 1 MOA plate.

Reactions: DMP
    Well shooting off a tripod off a uneven structure with a 26” cm with factory ammo in 10-20mpg gusting winds and wet dirt. And no spotter.

Is difficult.
    Went 0/10 on a full size ispc.

Well shooting off a tripod off a uneven structure with a 26” cm with factory ammo in 10-20mpg gusting winds and wet dirt. And no spotter.

Is difficult.
    Went 0/10 on a full size ispc.

I wasn't aware that wind is now measured in MPG. Is this something new? All joking aside, that is a bitch of a wind to call and depending on the terrain, you could have multiple wind directions at that distance. Wind flags, trees, grass, tumbleweeds, birds, etc. can help you determine wind direction.

After a couple rounds, I would have went to the target and started a search for signs of ground impacts.

I found impacts a little short of the target and a couple were in line with the target. A couple were about 5’ right.

I had dialed 2 mil right into the scope. I don’t have a tree reticle in the scope (Vudu 5-25) and had to hold 3 mil high because I was bottomed our for elevation with a flat mount.