• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

17 hmr grouping size

Long_Action

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Michigan
Just wondering what every1 is shooting at 25, 50 & 100 yards. I got my 17 sighted in at the pistol range and want to see what it shoots outside.....too bad it rains 9 days out of 10 when I get a new stick!

Re: 17 hmr grouping size

I have one and at 100yds I can't see the group until the third shot opens it up enough to see one hole. On a windless day it has shot into an inch at 200yds. At 17 grains it doesn't take much wind to blow that little splinter off a bit.

This was with Hornady ammo.

--KJ

It's really wind dependent, but my Savage usually shoots around or just under 1" at 100 yards. It's close to .5" if no wind and if I do my part, but .75" average is pretty normal.

I guess I've got a crappy Savage. Mine is good for averaging about 1-1/4" at 100yds. I've only had one good day where it averaged under an inch at 100 for 6 five-shot groups.

Whatever, it was a $250 investment that has proven to be reasonably fun.

I use to shoot CCI because they were cheaper. I could shoot the 17 grain and hold 1" @100. Since I found the 20 grain Hornady plastic tips, the 5 shot group looks like a 2 or 3 shot group. Out at 200 yds the 20 grain reply helps hold a 1" group together. I'm shooting thru ruger M77 stainless with 24" barrel.

My best at 100 so far is 10 rounds measuring .82". I'm not that good past 100. My best at 200 is 20 rounds and 20 hits on a 6" gong. At 300 yards the range has a 10" gong I can hit pretty much every time.

I just started testing on my CZ 452 varmint last week. I bought one or two boxes of every brand of ammo I could get my hands on. Although the ammo may be loaded by the same contractor, their are slight differences. For me, the consistently best accuracy, has come from the CCI, black poly tip, and hollow point (I think they call it the game point), followed by Hornady hollow point, and poly tip (red), with the hollow point showing slightly better accuracy than the poly tips in both cases. All the ammo was accurate enough to satisfy me, at any range, with the differences being rather slight.
With the 20 grainers, the Hornady seemed best for my rifle, with the winchester a close 2nd, but I dont like the smell of the win powder... kind of stinky. Moral of the story is try different stuff and see what works. All in all, I really like the little cartridge.
If their is any problem at all, it is that I am very used to using .22 as my all around kind of walking around rifle, and so am used to its ballistic characteristics, having them ingrained since childhood, so when shooting the .17 from offhand, or a knee,
in the field... I am having to adjust my POA to hit itty bitty things at the various ranges.... just different if you know what I mean.... maybe others can chime in on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSnipers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My best at 100 so far is 10 rounds measuring .82". I'm not that good past 100. My best at 200 is 20 rounds and 20 hits on a 6" gong. At 300 yards the range has a 10" gong I can hit pretty much every time. </div></div>

I would say you are doing very well with that kind of performance. Because of the light weight low BC bullet a linear extrapolation of group size i.e. 1" @ 100 therefore 2" @ 200 etc. is just not reasonable.

The real trouble I have found is the terminal performance on critters past 100 to 150 yards. Hitting them isn't too tough; but killin' 'em is!

I have a Savage 93R17 BTVS.

I have had pretty average luck with CCI ammo as im finding the brass is opening up at the neck and getting stuck therefore causing frequent ejection failures. This i hear is a common thing among 17hmr ammo.

I have found however that the hornady brand brass seems to hold up well in my rifle.

All of this is a bit of a shame really as im concerning myself with brass instead of actual performance.

Anyway, depending on how i shoot my I tend to see different results.

When shooting from a bipod @ 100m my group tends to be about 1.5" in size. I use the really long legged Harris bi-pod as i find this useful for topping bunnies in the field. These legs can be a bit wobbly.

When i shoot from bags I can get a decent 1" group at 100m.

I have not taken it out enough to get better results as she has only had around 200 rounds go through the barrel at this stage with the majority of those being on hunting trips.

There are two major factors that i find have an effect on how well my projectiles fly
- Wind
- How clean the barrel is

smallbore thats a nifty rile you have there

I have always wondered if my grouping at past 100m would be better if u used a larger magnification scope

At 100m i can barely even see any holes at 9x magnification.

This weekend i will be going out with some bags so hopefully i can get some much better groups happening

I bumped my scope up from a 4.5-14 to a 6-24, for shooting prairie dogs past 200 yards.
On a calm day, my Ruger 77/17 stainless will do 1/2" at 100 yards with the original loading from Hornady. It did second best with Remington, with the V-max bullet, and it hates the CCI hollowpoints.

Funny isn't it , how different ammo suits different rifles. I am completely infatuated with this little cartridge right now. I was at the SAR show over the weekend, in Phoenix, and kept going back to buy more 17 HMR ammo, when normally I would be much more focused on the NFA and LR tactical stuff. Now I am certainly not saying that I didn't pay ANY attention to the cool stuff.... but that dang little 17 just kept bugging me.... those tiny little groups... and critter kills. My shooting buddies just shake their heads. My low drag long range stuff is getting lonely... wondering where I am. Yikes.

The 17 HMR is pound for pound the most fun caliber to shoot, IMO. It is reasonably inexpensive to shoot and the results within its parameters are friggin' fantastic.

Try the very excellent 21 Dot Drill from Impact Data Books or the hide's own Practical Tactical Target.