• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

18" spr barrel, rainier ultramatch mod2 or WOA spr

toxic

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2014
Mansfield, OH
What has been consistently the most accurate spr barrel? Planning on a WOA but not sure if I want to just go with a rainier ultramatch mod2 since they have an accuracy guarantee. I currently have an 18" noveske intermediate spr, that I've had for several years, have yet to find a factory or a hand load that it truly likes. The best I've really gotten has been .75moa but has never been consistent. I know a compass lake barrel would be best but, its a little more than I want to spend.

What is everyones favorite SPR style barrel?

Last edited:
I had great results with 6.5g made by Satern barrels. I also have a Faxon 224val barrel that has been shooting good too.

The Satern had a super tight fit into the upper. I had to place a block of wood onto the muzzle and tap it in for it to fully seat. Fluted with headspaced bolt for under $400

What about 18 vs 20"? I know 20 wouldn't be an spr style anymore, but really don't care if its a clone or not, just want a great precision 223.

I'd go with a proof research steel (or carbon) barrel with the cam gas system.
I shot one yesterday in 22 nosler and went 5/6 at 400 yards on a 12" plate off a prs barricade first time shooting the gun.
I'm impressed.
Also have shot there carbon barrels out of an ar10 and got half moa groups at 100 yards with factory ammo

I think the carbon barrels are a waste of money. I had a proof carbon ar10 barrel. I didn’t think it was worth the money.

Suppressed or unsuppressed? I would go 18” if using a suppressor.

I think the carbon barrels are a waste of money. I had a proof carbon ar10 barrel. I didn’t think it was worth the money.

Suppressed or unsuppressed? I would go 18” if using a suppressor.
Suppressed, have a griffin paladin. Still leaning towards the woa 18 spr.

I would say WOA but have seen some good groups posted recently here and in the other site with the Rainier ultramatch barrels and now i am personally leaning towards Rainier SPR barrel

If you use the code Padom was nice enough to set up PADOM10 they are pretty close in price.

The other thing I like is the Rainier has a guarantee and they will take it back if not happy. If for some reason it doesn't shoot I could always go WOA

I really like my RA Ultramatch barrels. They shoot 5.56 pressure factory loaded 77’s into .7-.8 moa very consistently and can get handloads much tighter. I’m getting around 2818fps from my 18” with IMI 77’s. FGMM was accurate but was sub 2600fps IIRC, so it’s not really viable for longer ranges imo.

The regular match barrels are pretty dang good too, and also carry a precision guarantee.

Reactions: Glassaholic
What has been consistently the most accurate spr barrel? Planning on a WOA but not sure if I want to just go with a rainier ultramatch mod2 since they have an accuracy guarantee. I currently have an 18" noveske intermediate spr, that I've had for several years, have yet to find a factory or a hand load that it truly likes. The best I've really gotten has been .75moa but has never been consistent. I know a compass lake barrel would be best but, its a little more than I want to spend.

What is everyones favorite SPR style barrel?

If your Noveske is a legitimate 10 shot, .75 MOA rifle, I think I'd be pretty happy.

If it's 3 shots or even 5 shots, it really can't be called "<MOA".

You might want to read through this when you get time. There's a lot more to consistently have <MOA groups besides just the barrel, although it a critical component for sure. And if the 10 shot requirement is applied, there are just not as many AR's as a complete package, that are truly <MOA as many would like to believe.

JMHO, JMMV

The Trouble with 3 Shot Groups

Match Grade

MM

Lots of barrels will shoot good groups think your odds are better with a white oak though. Unless you want to step up past the 300 dollar mark.

Also the SPR will usually have the ops 12 contour, if you aren't building a mk12 clone then you probably don't need that so you can look at other 18-20 inch profiles.

I am using a pair of nitrided ballistic advantage spr barrels and they are around MOA. YMMV

Ordered an 18" WOA SPR and sentry 7 gas block. Wish they were still on sale at brownells but the $30 off today helped.

Ordered an 18" WOA SPR and sentry 7 gas block. Wish they were still on sale at brownells but the $30 off today helped.

You won't be disappointed with the WOA SPR. We have several in out group, and if we aren't turning our own blanks this is the go-to barrel. All of them can clean the KYL rack at 500 with 24.5gr of rl15 and a 77SMK. That 2.5" is a bitch with 10x optics, but you can get it done. (Rarely with one shot ;) )

Reactions: toxic
I’ve had great results with my SPR build that I fitted with a Wilson Combat Super Sniper barrel. I ordered the barrel threaded and fluted. Have no clue why the hell the marketing department decided to name it the “Super Sniper”, but I must say it’s a damn good barrel. I mated it up with and SLR adjustable gas block.

Does Rainier still do 10% for Hide members? I tried the Padom10 and SH10, neither work on the ultra match barrels.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Yeah, definitely looking for an answer on this as well.

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We had some website issues that is still being worked on. I am hoping to have it resolved here by end of week. If you do place your order shoot me a PM with your order#. I can have our office staff manually refund your 10% while we work on the site.

Reactions: IndustrialHalo
I used to assemble MK12 variants daily at a shop I worked at. We used WOA exclusively. They were also a lot cheaper then. Never had an issue with the barrel preformance that I was made aware of. Red or blue box Black Hills 77 grain ammo always shot sub MOA. We built a little under 100 if memory serves me correctly. I build my self one and latter switch to the 16” version. I believe they call it the MK12H or Holland variation. Now with the availability of the 77 TMKS, (metal mags only) for my function, 16” is the limit. Good luck, enjoy your build.

You won’t be disappointed,

I have a 16” WOA and a 18” rainier ultra match, both shoot about the same.

Have about 100rds on my new WOA, so far have found it loves 24.0gr imr 8208 xbr and a 77smk at 2.245". First group with that during load development was 3/8", need to test some more to see if its consistant or just a fluke. Have some other bullets to test also, like 77cc, 77tmk, 73eldm, and 75bthp, along with a 55fmj and 55 fb tipped varmeggeddon. So far this is shooting much better than that noveske ever did. It is super soft shooting too with that adjustable gas block. Have gone up to 24.2gr of 8208 with the 77smk, was just starting to get some ejector swipe. The 24.0gr load was 2812fps with 21 ES, and 10.1 SD for 5 shots. Best I had seen during the load development.