• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

190 grain SUBX seating issues (300BLK)

wyattgtx

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2024
Texas
I am having issues reloading the 190 grain sub x in 300 blackout. The bullet is not wanting to seat without a ridiculous amount of force. The tip of the bullet hangs up in the seating dye when I let off, and if I do manage to get the bullet seated to proper case length it is very deformed at the tip. I am using Hornady 300 BLK dies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 44
I am having issues reloading the 190 grain sub x in 300 blackout. The bullet is not wanting to seat without a ridiculous amount of force. The tip of the bullet hangs up in the seating dye when I let off, and if I do manage to get the bullet seated to proper case length it is very deformed at the tip. I am using Hornady 300 BLK dies.
Pull the seating stem out of your die and see how well it matches the blunt round nose profile of the SUB-X.
More appropriately how much it doesnt match.
I would think you could contact Hornady and get a stem for say a 30-30 round nose bullet that would be a much better profile for that bullet.
I havent seen a cross section for that particular bullet but given what it was designed for it is most likely a good portion just empty jacket with the plastic tip it's crimped around.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
i just loaded a bunch of these in 300blk and 308 last week and shot them over the weekend

for the 300blk i was using a set of rcbs dies and didn't have any issues seating bullets , i don't even remember any marks left on the bullets from the seating stem

how much and what type of powder are you putting in the case

are those nickel cases cut down 5.56 cases ? be careful as some 5.56/223 headstamps have to thick of a case neck and will give you chambering issues. this shouldn't have anything to do with your issue of seating bullets though

i would double check the sized brass with your chamber and like spife mentioned above double check your neck tension