• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 ftextract

Libilaw

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
Utah
I have a rock island gov 1911 with about 250 rounds down the pipe, I haven't had any problems until my last range session, with a fully loaded 8 rd magazine the 1st round would get 1/4 inch out of the chamber and stop with the slide still kicking back and trying to load the next round causing a type 3 failure. I am thinking it is because my magazine(kimber)is a POS and causing to much upward pressure. could this be a cause?

Re: 1911 ftextract

try this:

With a magazine of 8 rounds load a single round into the chamber then remove the magazine, fire the gun, your extractor may be holding the casing to high causing it to miss the ejector. Likewise it could be a improperly set up extractor claw and tension (which is what I am guessing)

Could be a few things.
Magazine (not as likely but cheapest and easiest to diagnose

Recoil spring- about 6.95 and should be replaced every 2-5k rounds anyway

and of course extractor

There is a nutnfancy video on youtube where this was happening with a Kimber, never saw the whole thing but same problem, you may look there and see what they did. Think it was called Kimber troubles by nutnfancy

I have had troubles with my 1 kimpro mag. My chip mcCormicks run flawlessly. I use his power mags (a 10 and 8 rd). I keep my kimber mag as a back up to my back up.