• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

1st .223 for 12 year old

Jaeger_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
Indiana
<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> Ok, so my boy has his AR,10/22, 870, Glock 17 and now he's saving for a Bolt .223. Says he wants to keep it the same caliber as his AR.. Looking for something around $500 without Optics.. Being his 1st, he'll either shoot it and trade up, or get his feet wet and upgrade.. Any suggestions ?

Re: 1st .223 for 12 year old

Tikka T3 Lite in 223. Fast twist barrel. Smooth action. Accurate out of the box. That's what my son has for his bolt and he loves it.

I got my Grandson, a seven year old a Remington 700 SPS tactical in 223. figured he can shoot it for years, never outgrow it. If i do have to cut down the stock their ton of take offs to chop up cheep. it about a hundred bucks more than you wanna spend for the rifle alone but cheep scopes can be had for him to learn on. I figure why spend a bundle if god forbid hes not into shooting as he gets older.

I bought my doughter (10)an SPS varmint and I am going to cut it way back and suppress it. I also bought an adjustable LOP stock so we can keep changing it as she gets older. Will use the action and make it a custom for her next year, but this is all about just getting out and having fur with her shooting. I would consider the SPS Tactical as posted above as well. For a 12 year old boy just the sound of the name is worth the extra couple dollars when he's telling his buddy's what type of rifle he has : )

BTW Darrel Holland has a Thumbhole stock that is made for him by McMillan that they can put an Adjustable Length of Pull but pad on that is pretty nice for kids becouse they have smaller hands.

Good Luck,
JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories