1st ELR match: what to bring, what to expect

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Got a few picked out that are favoriable to rookies, but any heads-up for a first time participant in an ELR match.

I am used to PRS/F-Class so Ammo/Bags out the ass/Binos for spotting. Could use some prep (especially as I need to travel far for ELR).. TYIA.

Reactions: BipThatInstance
Some things you probably don't have from prs...

A bipod mat. I cut up a horse stall mat in the size I wanted.

Some kind of ammo caddy. Maybe you have that from fclass? But probably doesn't fit your rounds if you are shooting something like a cheytac.

Love them or hate them, a tactical wheel barrow of some kind to get all the shit you need to the line. Elr rigs are heavy, and you aren't going to be slinging them up and walking around with them.

A good, large shooting mat. The matches I've been to haven't had prepared firing points, cardboard or tarps on the ground at best.

A nice camp chair. You'll be sitting a lot.

That's in addition to all the usual, kestrel, rangefinder, spotting scope tripod, bipod.

Reactions: DocRDS
If you’ve ever wanted it at the range during practice/ tuning take it with you, this is basically the rule for any match you need to travel for.

Good point about bipod mat.
Chair is a good idea. An umbrella or tent if it’s gonna be hot and sunny is a good idea.
Snacks. Water, lots of it. Also some sort of sugary drink

Reactions: TrevK
stuff:
a good spotter scope and tripod
your ballistic solver kestrel etc you need DOF and AOF even if its a phone
(optional) rangefinder if your can do it to verify targets (optional but if you got a terrapin go for it or it practice)
a backup solver one even if its DOPE on paper
notebook and pens/pencils
have your rifle pre fouled and zeroed
have 10 extra rounds just in case or more just in case there is allowed day before zero'ing conf. or a cold bore stage or a dud round.
a timer for stages (optional use watch etc) or combined with caddy
bipod mat also as rear bag shims if needed, the cardboard is good also just in case.
gun cover of some sort even if old rain coat these things get left around near the line and it can keep rain dust sun off.
rain gear for you
bug juice
chair and a battery fan for summer, ez up if it fits.
a big enough and STRONG enough folding table to hold your stuff even rifle if needed is nice to have unles you can use truck tailgate and the truck can be close enough.
food drinks in cooler. Some will put their ammo in a small cooler also to keep it from cold/heat depending
bring a cleaning rod to check a bore
big wrenches for your brake just in case
tools for checking rifle torque just in case
some sort of cart for crap
label your mat, tarps, bipod mats, cleaning rod tube, and kestrel ive had people get 'confused' without malice but it happens. If you use a bluetooth kestrel put the code option on it so no one connects by accident.
(optional) chrono but consider it might as well be gun mounted or its something ELSE to get ready at the line.
(optional) cheap grass rug at tractor supply for extra muzzle blast ground shield if the venue needs it
(optional) barrel cooler fan flag
chamber flag
I shoot out of an ammo case but I might go with the caddy and timer combo soon Concern is ill spill it though.

Reactions: EUBANKS
Nobody went over Expectations.....so....

Expect to hit 1/2 as many targets as you think you should. And at 1/2 you still shot great...so don't beat yourself up. Shooting ELR on the clock is a lot more difficult than just sending rounds downrange at your home range.

Expect to meet a lot of nice people...each with wildly varying beliefs in reloading techniques and cleaning regiments...and they all believe theirs is the best.

Expect someone to freely hand you a piece of equipment like a range finder or spotting scope that is so far outside your budget that you are fearful of dropping it. ELR is the playground of the rich most of the time.

Expect to learn a lot about your limitations or the equipment's shortcomings....and think about how to mitigate them in the future.

Expect to have fun.

I looks at my last ELR match we had targets at 1810,2250, 2655 and 3090. My hit% was 49.5 and I took 2nd. The guy who took 1st had the same hit% but had more consecutive hits than I did. The target size 1810 was 20x30 the rest were 40x40 all with hit light on them. I was shooting a 375ct with CE 400 Lazer

Nobody went over Expectations.....so....

Expect to hit 1/2 as many targets as you think you should. And at 1/2 you still shot great...so don't beat yourself up. Shooting ELR on the clock is a lot more difficult than just sending rounds downrange at your home range.

Expect to meet a lot of nice people...each with wildly varying beliefs in reloading techniques and cleaning regiments...and they all believe theirs is the best.

Expect someone to freely hand you a piece of equipment like a range finder or spotting scope that is so far outside your budget that you are fearful of dropping it. ELR is the playground of the rich most of the time.

Expect to learn a lot about your limitations or the equipment's shortcomings....and think about how to mitigate them in the future.

Expect to have fun.
Entire post is spot on. Looking forward to my next one.

This is more ELR match-day tips:

Watch, listen, learn, have fun.
Spotting is a great skill and takes time to develop. Stay on glass as much as you can (without slowing down your squad). You can learn a ton glassing for others shooters. I prefer nice binos less fatigue and you can watch it all the way there instead just focusing on the target.
Keep your scope at he same magnification as your binos when you start a stage (10x=10x). Things will look more familiar and help you get on target quicker
Since you're F-Class (square range), your wind flags / indicators are natural. Grass, trees, leafs, dust, mirage, ect. Sometimes these will lie, so pay attention and be ready.
Be prepared that your dope might stop working at certain distances :) Don't loose you shit. Ask your squad-mates for help if they are cool.
Bring some paper dope sheets while your at it. cant hurt and the batteries last forever. Hopefully you never need it, but cant hurt to have and if its tracking, much faster getting ready for a stage.
Make sure you do the little shit right and right every time. Pay attention to trigger control and body position for every single shot.
Make shots count and don't give away easy ones. Better to time out with 3 hits than shoot at every target and only hit 2.
Each shot is it's own adventure. Last shot has absolutely zero influence on the next one. Once it's gone, it's gone. Forget about bad shots right away.
Get your 1st shot off quickly. Sub 30 seconds is good. Bank that time. However, see above advice.
Know your course of fire. Draw a map of target position if you need to.
More spotting and glassing.
Eat more snacks, drink more water.
Don't forget, it's supposed to be fun.

Chair is a good idea.
Snacks. Water, lots of it.
We carry a mini folding stool (aka: Barry-chair). Light, cheap and easy to pack.

Lots of calories, salt-tabs or electrolytes, snacks, protein snacks, sunscreen & lots of water. Eat and drink even if you don't feel you need it. 1st thing dehydration effects is your vision. You cannot manage the conditions and wind, but you can manage your body.

If you are coming out west, be ready for wind, dirt & dust all-up-in-your-shit. Have a plan to keep it clean and running.

If you can find one person in your squad that you can trust to spot for you, it's way better than 6 people in the peanut gallery telling you different things. If you're "not sure" or "think it was..." just keep you mouth shut. Bad info is worse than no info.

Don't worry about gear. A lot of shooting is between the ears.

Have fun.

Reactions: FimRire RongLifle