• See The Results, Run The Bolt Tee

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

20 inch 6.5 Creedmoor for 1k yards ?

TacticalPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Thinking of running a suppressed 20 inch Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting out to 250 max and target out to 1000y. Is the 20 incher going to reduce my velocity enough to open my groups at 1k with target loads ?

All information is greatly appreciated.

TP...

Attachments

• photo50327.jpg
    photo50327.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 281
Youre not giving up any mechanical accuracy. The bullet will slow down some, which will cause more drift. The actual amount can be modeled in your ballistic software. Only you can prioritize your goals, handy vs outright performance.

I have a 20 in. Tikka 6.5 (braked, not suppressed) that I shoot @ 1000 yds. a couple of times a week (including yesterday). I bought it to be able to step away from the reloading bench and have one rifle I don't have to reload for. It likes Hornady 140 ELD Match ammo the best, shoots bugholes at 100, but still the ES is in the high 40s. Shooting at 1000, that shows up in the vertical spread for sure, but with light winds I can usually put 9-10 out of 10 on a full -sized IPSC target. Yesterday the wind was sharp and cold, went 7/12. In calm conditions, it's fairly consistent at 1200 (I say calm, meaning when my wind call errors are less likely to be a factor and you can see what the rifle is truly doing in conditions that are consistent from shot to shot). I only tried 1330 one time, and the results weren't so good, but need to try again to learn more. I should point out that we are near sea level (200 ft. elevation), so DA here is almost worst-case in terms of its affect on limiting performance.

I've been wondering if the ES on factory match ammo would be better out of a longer barrel. I should know soon, as I have a 26 in. custom-build 6.5 arriving from RWS today (just got the UPS notice that it was delivered to my FFL while I'm typing this)! As for the Tikka, I'm certain a well-developed load with a low ES/SD would make it really tighten up at 1000.

See y'all later, it's New Rifle Day!

I have a 20 in. Tikka 6.5 (braked, not suppressed) that I shoot @ 1000 yds. a couple of times a week (including yesterday). I bought it to be able to step away from the reloading bench and have one rifle I don't have to reload for. It likes Hornady 140 ELD Match ammo the best, shoots bugholes at 100, but still the ES is in the high 40s. Shooting at 1000, that shows up in the vertical spread for sure, but with light winds I can usually put 9-10 out of 10 on a full -sized IPSC target. Yesterday the wind was sharp and cold, went 7/12. In calm conditions, it's fairly consistent at 1200 (I say calm, meaning when my wind call errors are less likely to be a factor and you can see what the rifle is truly doing in conditions that are consistent from shot to shot). I only tried 1330 one time, and the results weren't so good, but need to try again to learn more. I should point out that we are near sea level (200 ft. elevation), so DA here is almost worst-case in terms of its affect on limiting performance.

I've been wondering if the ES on factory match ammo would be better out of a longer barrel. I should know soon, as I have a 26 in. custom-build 6.5 arriving from RWS today (just got the UPS notice that it was delivered to my FFL while I'm typing this)! As for the Tikka, I'm certain a well-developed load with a low ES/SD would make it really tighten up at 1000.

See y'all later, it's New Rifle Day!

That es is pretty typical of hornady match eld ammo. Ive seen it across several rifles. I woudn't bank on a longer barrel fixing things. Wont be an apples to apples comparison either. The new gun will have a custom tube. If es's improve with the new barrel, I think it would be incorrect to chalk that up to barrel length.

I have a 20" .260 CTR that will hold sub MOA horizontal at that distance. 139 scenar at 2725. Sd is 10 or less. Vertical is around moa usually. They are fantastic rifles.

In my Tikka Videos I am running the 20" in 260REM plus my World Record is done with an 18" 6.5CM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mPVgI61xsJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shots at 1125 near the middle / end of the video

Plus World Record Shots

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HhM-LbvxYV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That es is pretty typical of hornady match eld ammo. Ive seen it across several rifles. I woudn't bank on a longer barrel fixing things. Wont be an apples to apples comparison either. The new gun will have a custom tube. If es's improve with the new barrel, I think it would be incorrect to chalk that up to barrel length.

Yeah, that's what I expect as I have heard similar from others. The only way I can see it would improve is if the load Hornady uses isn't able to get a complete, consistent burn in the shorter barrel, but that was a long shot (oops, no pun intended).