• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 20 MOA RAIL

Reloadyour9

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Encino, Ca
Hey guys, Although I am not new to guns by any means, I am to bolt actions and optics. I recently picked up a Sig STR 970 and someone recommended me getting a 20 MOA rail for it. I know what it is, but what exactly does it do?

I am sure alot of you are laughing at this, and well, if I knew the answer I would be too!

Thanks in advance,
Reload

Re: 20 MOA RAIL

I'm sure you will get a more detailed answer from many on here...but in a general term...it allows for more elevation adjustment in regards to your scope...thus making long range target acquisition possible.

Re: 20 MOA RAIL

A 20 MOA base allows you to "move" your zero 20 minutes "down" in your scopes elevation range. This reserves that "extra" 20 MOA to allow you more adjustment when attempting to shoot long range.

Basically you install it, mount your scope and zero as normal. You will have more "clicks" of elevation left in the scope after zeroing.

Depending on the optic and the range you will be shooting at you may or may not need it.