• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

204 Ruger Proof CF barrel tested

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
Barrel is a 20” 1 in 10 twist, has 50 rounds on it up to now. Did a quick break in. Sharing this because I couldn’t find anything on it.
Only running factory loads at the time to break in and collect brass. It seemed to favor the 36 gr prairie enemy a little more breaking it in but they are nonexistent right now so I loaded up on Hornady’s 40gr vmax ammo. The 10 shot group was the other day, no cold bore warm up or anything just laid down 10 shots in a row. Mirage got terrible last 2 shots.

73C70CC3-B8F1-4667-BBB8-0EAC243A59A4.jpeg
90CBB511-BA86-4D5E-ACCB-B837ED86B4B5.jpeg
IMG_6167.jpeg

Last edited:
The only problem I have had is it wanting bend shells trying to load sometimes. Every builder I have talked to says it’s because the 204 is a straight wall cartridge. Using the right magazines and followers seems to have pretty much taken care of it though.

What was the Vel.fps on that factory box 36 grain ?? ,out that 20" 10-1 .
Factory box ammo is pretty good Vel. and MOA grouping. I did a breakin and some test groups on a new proof CF 20" 10-1 .204 few weeks back for guy I hunt dogs with . He only wanted to run factory box, and the Hornady Super Performance 40 grain was cooking at 3700+ Vel. , and the Nosler 40 grn. was pretty respectable at 3590+ vel on the Garmin . I remember that proof .204 barrel bore also cleaning-up slick smooth and easy fast .
@100 yard. The factory Hornady Super Performance 40grn. was just holding 1 moa groups, with some smaller ones . Nosler box ammo was little slower Vel. but the 20" proof did favor it more with showing tighter in group sizes .

@softcock I didn’t chrono the 36 gr. I can later though I have two left but they shot a .8 .48 & .3 moa 5 shot group breaking in and to 400 hit right beside the Hornady 40gr v max with identical zero poi. My 40 gr Hornady’s are only running 3600 fps and a G1 bc .250. This held true to 700 yards on steel

Last edited:
Reactions: softcock
The only problem I have had is it wanting bend shells trying to load sometimes. Every builder I have talked to says it’s because the 204 is a straight wall cartridge. Using the right magazines and followers seems to have pretty much taken care of it though.
I’m only 50 rds in but running ASC steel and Lancer mags it’s ran perfect and case and bullets look great extracted. I have read Magpul mags were a problem with them so I didn’t even try them.