215 berger hybrid stability

jaybigboy34

Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Has anyone pushed the 215 berger out and past 2000 yards? I am wanting to know if they transition well from transonic to subsonic. Thanks

I have shot the 215 hy's out to 2042 yards but it was hard to tell as we had 3 wind changes. They seem to shoot well from what I could see. I also shot some 208 ELD-X at the target and they had the same results giving the wind conditions. If I recall I think we had 2 hits out of 10 rounds and 4 or 5 were close. You are asking a lot of those bullets at that range.

I’ve gotten hits at 2500y with them.
The 215 Hybrids run 3200 FPS out of my Norma Mag. AB says they went transonic at 2155y and the 2500y impact velocity was 1120 FPS.

Cheers,

I would really like to know what bullet, 215 Berger or otherwise in .30 cal that is not affected entering the transonic zone. I'm building a 300 PRC for 2100 yards and the more research I do the more I seem to find out that VLD bullets do not transition well at all. So anything with a more secant ogive is more prone to disruption in flight. Does that include hybrid designs as well? Where do you draw the line between tangent and secant ogives before the transonic performance is compromised?

I hunt with 215 hybrids out of my 300 Norma and bang steel and while some will holla fowl , the results on mule deer have been very impressive