• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.22 18" HB AR15 Upper

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I've got a SASS for my primary stick, but I'm in need of a trainer . . . I also have a standard M4, so my obvious choice is a 22 upper . . . But I'm looking for something with an 18" heavy barrel . . .anybody have any suggestions. All I'm finding are 16" uppers.

Thanks in advance!

Re: .22 18" HB AR15 Upper

My own price no object .22AR project is an 18" SPR barrel and bolt(M-262 only) from Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering.
Frank does Match Service Rifles and .22 trainers of equal precision and price.
I got the SS Douglas. Base for the Douglas 20" service rifle barrels is about $300, plus $50 custom charge for the non standard length 18" barrel. Shoots 3/8" and clover leafs @50yd with SK Standard.

I found out AFTER I got the barrel that Frank did the 5.56 barrels for the real deal.

The bolt together with the connecting link is about $240 with 3 mag inserts. BDM makes high cap mags for this conversion system.

Figure $100 for an upper, plus whatever handguard , sights, muzzle device, etc. Or at least $750 plus sights total.

Ballistic Advantage offers a variety of uppers in the Atchisson system, using Spike's bolts; I suspect he can do an 18".

Model 1 Sales offers a 20" barrel in service rifle or fluted bull configuration.

Re: .22 18" HB AR15 Upper

I'm not aware of anything in 18", though M1S does the 20" complete upper in either config, with lots of options. I think Spike's does 16" and LESS.

CLE does whole uppers, but the service rifles run $1100. Probably a little less without the front sight and non service rifle handguard.