• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing 22-250 rd ?

Re: 22-250 rd ?

your going to be limmited to 55gr bullets or less. You may be able to squeek by with 60gr bullets, but that twist is really slow to hope for great results with anything greater than 55gr.

I had a SPS with 1/14 and it shot 55gr Nolser BT and Sierra Blitzkings like a house on fire. Great accuracy, but would not shoot 60gr bullets very well, 1+MOA @ 100 yards and 75gr Amaxas gouped around 9 inches at 100 yards rofl.

Expect about 3600+fps with the 55 gr, my load was around 3700fps with (dont quote me, reporting from memory, or lack there of) 38gr of H380 and 55gr BK, and could get around 3800-3950 with different powder combinations with the 50gr Blitzkings and 45gr Sierra and Hornaday bullets.

But for factory ammo, keep it under 55gr bullets for best results.

I agree with Hasgun about 55 gr. being the max you can use in a 22-250 with a 1-14 twist. When i bought my 22-250 it came with a couple boxes of Hornady varmint express(55gr. v-max moly). It shot pretty well for factory ammo. I believe that they should be moving about about 3650 fps. I haven't tried any other factory loads since I reload for the 22-250.

Oh, and my rifle is a VSF also. Great gun, even if I wasn't a fan of its looks.

Pick up a box of USA brand (winchester white box) 40 round varmit pack and try them. I have seen them perform well out of serveral factory rifles. I think they are loaded with a 40 or 45 gr. hollow point. A friend got 4000+ fps out of his Ruger markII when we put them over a chronograph.

Any polymer tipped (premium) ammo 55 gr and under should be very good accuracy wise and spectacular on crows, p-dogs, and other vermin.

Save the brass, PM me when you get a few hundred empties if you don't reload and I'll throw them away for you.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pick up a box of USA brand (winchester white box) 40 round varmit pack and try them. I have seen them perform well out of serveral factory rifles. I think they are loaded with a 40 or 45 gr. hollow point. A friend got 4000+ fps out of his Ruger markII when we put them over a chronograph.

Any polymer tipped (premium) ammo 55 gr and under should be very good accuracy wise and spectacular on crows, p-dogs, and other vermin.

Save the brass, PM me when you get a few hundred empties if you don't reload and I'll throw them away for you.
wink.gif

</div></div>

+1 Found several shooters to say the same and they shot awsome out of my 22-250 and .223. White box winchester is a good way to go. 40 Rounds in a box is a good plus.

JamieD