• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22-250

Re: 22-250

Varget is a GREAT powder for this round. I like 55 gr Bal Tips pushed by 33.5 gr Varget, gives me a little over 3400 and shoots lights out. I've also used 38 gr of Win760 and 55 gr Gamekings that shoot damn good at longer ranges.

I've shot 32.5 grains of IMR 4895 behind 60 grain Hornady Spire points for many years in my 22-250 HB Varmint and always shot 0.5" 5 shoot groups @ 100 yards. Sighted it 2" high @ 100 yards.

My friend, this isn't what you want to hear but that's about like asking for a pick up line for redheads that only drink Jack Daniel's, straight. I mean, it varies so much anyone can say anything and it will likely apply to some but not many. If you get twenty responses they will all be different.

Go to your loading manual, pick a powder and load that obtains the highest speed for your desired bullet weight and experiment.

As for powder, there are quite a few choices. It has been awhile since I loaded for mine but if I remember correctly, I use IMR 4064. Get a Nosler manual and go with the powder it says gives the best accuracy and you should do well.

For bullets, I use Speer 70 gr. Semi-Spitzers which have stabilized well in 3 different 1:12 twist barrels. I've heard that a 1:14 twist is also good enough to stabilize them. I've used them on groundhogs and deer with very satisfactory results. One of said deer was a bang flop at 360 yards.

Nosler bt's, v-max, and a-max all work very well for your quarry,

I tried 52grn smk's for a couple of months, very accurate, but (as expected) were rubbish on foxes.
The 52grn a-max's on the other hand work just the same as proper ballistic tips..explosive.

That's out of a factory sako 1-14" twist.

I use 52gr AMAX with 37.2 gr Varget and will shoot a 3/8in group at 300yds all day long. The bullet is light yes but i dont shoot over 600yds much anyway. Use caution as this (37.2) is 1.2 gr over max load in book value...

36.0 gr. H-Varget and a 55 gr. Sierra Game King Spire Point. I fired 450 rounds of that in June on a prarie dog shoot. I made way more hits than misses (didn't even try to keep up with counting)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post some pictures I would like to see your groups.</div></div>
+1 thats .125 MOA! all day long...