22 ARC brass question

Firearriw

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
California
I looked through a lot of the “Making 22 ARC” brass threads that I could find before posting this question. So if I missed this thread I do apologize.

I’m looking at building a 22 ARC AR rifle for coyotes hunting, and I want to run Lapua brass. I know Lapua makes 6.5 Grendel brass, and I want to use the 22 ARC Modular Sizing Die from Short Action Custom.

So my question is can I just run the Lapua brass into the SAC 22 ARC sizing die, with the appropriate neck bushing, and I am good to go? One of the guys at SAC said their die is not intended to form the body of the case, and to the best of my knowledge from reading posts, the 22 ARC has the same dimensions as the 6.5 Grendel other than being necked down.

Second, has anyone had to neck turn after necking down to a 22 ARC?

Yes, one and done. Run it through your sizer and you're finished.
I've processed around 500 pieces of grendel brass into 22 arc, no problems. Make sure you have some lube in the neck. I'm getting sub 3/4" 5 shot groups with my handloads. No neck turning needed.

I'm using hornady brass because I have a lot of it and I shoot a gas gun. Losing Lapua brass makes me sad.

I fully agree that loosing Lapua brass should be a felony, but I am hoping that I will ware the barrel out before the brass goes bad, and being that this will be a coyote rifle and not a competition rifle I think I will get many years out of this rifle.

Side question. Any reason not to go with a 20” Proof barrel and a JP bolt?

None whatsoever.
But then again, I've been especially happy with my Odinworks barrel and bcg. At half the price.

And if this is a coyote gun, I'm gonna guess that a 50% recovery rate on your brass might be optimistic. At least where I hunt.

Some people will tell you that particularly for Grendel cases, Starline is better (or at least more durable) than Lapua. Something about Lapua being too thin near the case head, which can lead to a bulge, or even the "Grendel Belt" with stout loads. I've not personally tested enough to know for sure, but I'm running Starline in my 22 ARC, and am pleased so far.
I used Hornady non-bushing dies to convert the 6.5G Starline brass, and the necks seem to measure a hair thicker than factory Hornady brass, but it hasn't been an issue (yet).

FWIW, I cannot chamber necked down Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass in my 2/ ARC, too thick and would need turning. I also know I am not the only one who has the issue.

Most durable? Lol.
I don't expect to recover a lot of brass unless I'm at the range, so cheap hornady once fired grendel brass works just fine for me.
Yes, neck tension might be a little tight, but I feel that the Hornady 22arc brass neck tension is a little light. Especially in a gas gun.
I know I could crimp the factory 22arc, but I hate trying to get a consistent crimp on my reloads.

Just checked and the Lapua brass cost twice as much as the Starline. Maybe I’ll go the Starline route until there is a real reason to change.
You can get 6 arc starline to make 22 arc also. Lapau is generally thick. If the neck is too thick you will have bullet release and pressure problems. Or chambering problems as mentioned above because the neck won't fit in the chamber. Same goes for any brass you are sizing down. It's not a bad idea to measure a loaded case neck vs a fired one.

Starline has been better than hornady in my experience. I have some 10x 6arc made from sized starline 6.5 grendel.

Buy a brass catcher and never intentionally lose brass again. The Caldwell brass catcher is serviceable. I also have a brass goat that works well.

You can get 6 arc starline to make 22 arc also. Lapau is generally thick. If the neck is too thick you will have bullet release and pressure problems. Or chambering problems as mentioned above because the neck won't fit in the chamber. Same goes for any brass you are sizing down. It's not a bad idea to measure a loaded case neck vs a fired one.

Starline has been better than hornady in my experience. I have some 10x 6arc made from sized starline 6.5 grendel.
Being that I won’t know the ID is the chamber in the neck area, should I lower a freshly sized case that is loaded slowly using the charging handle and then use the forward assist gently to see if it goes into battery easily? I assume this method would prevent a loaded round that has a neck that is to big from getting jammed.

Chambering one carefully would let you k ow if it fits. It can fit and still be tight enough to give you problems. You could also ask for a reamer print and get a good idea if you are pushing it by measuring a loaded round and comparing to the chamber neck diameter. I would only seat one bullet for this purpose as you will have to pull bullets to turn necks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cfshooter
Chambering one carefully would let you k ow if it fits. It can fit and still be tight enough to give you problems. You could also ask for a reamer print and get a good idea if you are pushing it by measuring a loaded round and comparing to the chamber next diameter. I would only seat one bullet for this purpose as you will have to pull bullets to turn necks.
Will do