• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk 22 caliber builds

The recoil reduction of a 6mm offsets the lack of impact signature down range of a 6.5mm to the point where *overall* impacts are easier to spot in more cases than not. Can the same be said for a 22 cal vs 6mm? IMO, no.

Me and a buddy are wanting to try a 22 creedmoor again this year. Besides the lack of splash, jacket failure is another issue we have expereienced. I had a 22x47L 1:7T that would throw jackets off anything 88 grains and up at 3075 or higher. He and another buddy had 22 creedmoor's that would spin jackets off as well. once you hit 3050 from a 7 twist things start to get pretty hairy for the heavier projetiles..but a 95smk at 3100+ leaves a lot of calibers/bullets in the dust as far as wind/drop goes. I have a trainer remington 223, custom 223 for matches, and a custom 6 dasher... the 22 creed is more of a project than anything.. I wouldnt do it unless i had other options for a match rifle.

For those saying lack of splash/energy

About 2 years ago I owned a 6 dasher that I used for comps and also built a 7 twist 22-250AI(very similar capacity to 22 creed) for coyote hunting and also for my son to use in matches.

22-250ai shooting 90 gr berger vld @ 3199 fps has more energy than the 105 hybrids running 2930 fps at 1000 yards. 485 ft-lb vs 556ft-lb. I also ran 95smk(22 cal) at 3083 fps. Your not talking much less mass but at much higher speed. I actually had the 90gr berger up to almost 3400 fps but backed it to the lower node for matches.

The recoil between the two rifles was very similar, except the the dasher was a much heavier rifle. Probably 6 lbs heavier. A 22 dasher or 22 br would be awesome imo.

For those saying lack of splash/energy

About 2 years ago I owned a 6 dasher that I used for comps and also built a 7 twist 22-250AI(very similar capacity to 22 creed) for coyote hunting and also for my son to use in matches.

22-250ai shooting 90 gr berger vld @ 3199 fps has more energy than the 105 hybrids running 2930 fps at 1000 yards. 485 ft-lb vs 556ft-lb. I also ran 95smk(22 cal) at 3083 fps. Your not talking much less mass but at much higher speed. I actually had the 90gr berger up to almost 3400 fps but backed it to the lower node for matches.

The recoil between the two rifles was very similar, except the the dasher was a much heavier rifle. Probably 6 lbs heavier. A 22 dasher or 22 br would be awesome imo.

I know on paper there is more energy but it just seemed to me I could spot my 6 splashes better than my 22 cal

I shot a 22BR for all of 2019. About 9 or 10 one day club matches. 5 National matches and the PRS Finale.

In my humble opinion, I experienced no more problems spotting misses or impacts than anyone running a 6mm something. And didn't see or notice much difference from my years of running a 6 Creedmoor.

More targets are reactionary or have indicators than they did just a few short years ago. And the Magnetospeed at the Hornady PRC picked up the impact from the 88gr bullet at around almost 1700 yards.

I went into the season with heavy skepticism that the necked down BR would be up to the task. I ended the season buying my own reamer and ordering a couple barrels to do it again in 2020.

I shot a 22BR for all of 2019. About 9 or 10 one day club matches. 5 National matches and the PRS Finale.

In my humble opinion, I experienced no more problems spotting misses or impacts than anyone running a 6mm something. And didn't see or notice much difference from my years of running a 6 Creedmoor.

More targets are reactionary or have indicators than they did just a few short years ago. And the Magnetospeed at the Hornady PRC picked up the impact from the 88gr bullet at around almost 1700 yards.

I went into the season with heavy skepticism that the necked down BR would be up to the task. I ended the season buying my own reamer and ordering a couple barrels to do it again in 2020.

How many rounds did you get per barrel this year? Did you notice wind holds being much different/ more critical than the 6mm? Honestly the wind holds were less in mine, but it was running the hell out of the 90-95s also.

I ran 22 Dasher this year also , 3080 with 95 SMKs , extremely accurate too. I loved it and it shot inside everything else it competed with. I would say recoil between it and my 6 dasher is basically a wash. I have to say though I had more difficulty seeing misses and location of hits , I think it was a combination of slightly less mass, faster impacts (impacts seem to be instantaneous,and therefore at the moment of recoil)and my eyes may be getting weaker.
I have 1300 rds on the barrel after the PRS finale and I saw a couple strange fliers near the end of day 2 , could of been me but I’ll keep a close eye on it. I ran RL23 since day 1.
I am going to spin another barrel for fun but for comps I’m going bigger next year.

How many rounds did you get per barrel this year? Did you notice wind holds being much different/ more critical than the 6mm? Honestly the wind holds were less in mine, but it was running the hell out of the 90-95s also.

I swapped the barrel at just north of 2500 rounds. I shot the same load I developed after my 150 round break in for 2200 rounds without touching it.

28.5grs of Varget was single digit SD and .5 or less groups the entire time. Didnt chase lands, didnt touch it.

I like the round.

I have .22br and 6gt barrels that should be done this week. Should know in about a month which will be seeing the most use this year.

I ran 6cm most of this year and switched to dasher a couple months ago. I think I actually prefer the 6cm. Hoping 6gt will be similar but with more barrel life.

I shot 80gr eldm our of my 223 ackley all last season and didn’t feel out horse powered until the steel got past 900ish yards seems like most of the matches within 200 miles of my home averages between 450/550 yds so I’m ok with giving up some energy at 1000 for the minimal recoil I get out of the ackley. Plus it’s fun to run this little round on the ragged edge of what a 223 can do

Reactions: D_TROS
I don't think 22 dasher/brx will catch on long term, and for sure not 22 creed because they're too hard on barrels for the hot higher round count matches. however, I think the 22 br could be here for a long time. super consistent, easy, long barrel life, zero recoil, and similar ballistics to a dasher.

I run a .22 br and 6 BRA. Both suppressed. The .22 has less recoil with 88's at 2950, but I do see less at 1000+. Not that much different, but there is a difference. Both rifles about the same weight.