22 creedmore ballistics comparisons

Twist, availability of high BC bullets?

Sure, but it's not like 22creed is a factory offering yet. I debated that when looking st my late purchase, but it was between 243 and 6 creed. Ended up with a 308 lol. Whatever.

Either way with a 22 creed or a 22-250 you can get a fast twist barrel spun on and use the same bullet. Just a a thought is all.

I have a .220 Swift and have clocked in at over 4,400fps. It’s good to about 600 yards and then it completely falls apart, sort of like a 5.56. At distance the wind pushes it all over the place.

Fast .22 is a medium range only pill as far as I’m concerned.

Sure, but it's not like 22creed is a factory offering yet. I debated that when looking st my late purchase, but it was between 243 and 6 creed. Ended up with a 308 lol. Whatever.

Either way with a 22 creed or a 22-250 you can get a fast twist barrel spun on and use the same bullet. Just a a thought is all.
I am not an expert by any means, but it seems like this happens pretty often over the the years with cartridge evolution. The other thing is that by creating a new cartridge you can specify a new freebore. And then there’s marketing. You could say the same things about 260 Remington vs 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm still failing to see why the 22creed is taking off and the 22-250 was forgotten in some circles.
22-250 has a whole lot of case taper, when stacked in a mag the case heads will stack much taller than the shoulders, you almost need a banana clip to feed it instead of the common aics which does better with less case taper. 22-250ai takes some of that taper out as well.

Reactions: Tregullon
I have a .220 Swift and have clocked in at over 4,400fps. It’s good to about 600 yards and then it completely falls apart, sort of like a 5.56. At distance the wind pushes it all over the place.

Fast .22 is a medium range only pill as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah, 40 grainers suck in the wind. Swap the barrel to a 7.5" twist and run the 85-95 grainers at 3250 fps. They'll have less drop and drift than many of today's popular 6mm middleweights. If you're shooting the Swift for the purposed of "red mist" then the 85-95s will fail to impress no matter what cartridge.

That said, no .224/6mm compares to a 7mm 180gr bullet when it comes to bucking the wind.

I'm still failing to see why the 22creed is taking off and the 22-250 was forgotten in some circles.
For me, just something new, which was the case with the last "last" rifle I put together which was a 6mm creedmore. I have one of the rare .220 Swift Senderos which is now pushing, (or past?) 20 years old and has taken uncountable deer and critters. Barrel seems to be about shot out and I don't want to put a new barrel on it because of its rarity. It will have a nice resting place in the back of my safe and the young new 22 Creed will take its place in the front row. I'm kinda . 22 gay I guess, I love all things .22.

Reactions: Ryridesmotox
Before the 22creed was an option I did a couple of fast twist 22-250s, a 1in 7 and a 1-8 twist. They both shoot great. I haven't really looked at the 22 creed (because I am happy with the 250's) so I don't know what velocity difference exists. But the thing I like about the 22-250's is that they are both very accurate at almost max loads so I don't have to choose between speed or precision. They feed great out of a 5 round mag, but if you load up a 10 then the body taper is to much and the nose starts to dive- so that's the biggest advantage to the creedmoor.

Sometimes loading the longest high BC bullet in a case isn't as magic as it seems. For targets its great- but I went back to a 1in14 22-250 for varmints. A 40 or 50 grain .224 doesn't get much love on this forum.... but at 4000 fps its still pretty impressive.

Before the 22creed was an option I did a couple of fast twist 22-250s, a 1in 7 and a 1-8 twist. They both shoot great. I haven't really looked at the 22 creed (because I am happy with the 250's) so I don't know what velocity difference exists. But the thing I like about the 22-250's is that they are both very accurate at almost max loads so I don't have to choose between speed or precision. They feed great out of a 5 round mag, but if you load up a 10 then the body taper is to much and the nose starts to dive- so that's the biggest advantage to the creedmoor.

Sometimes loading the longest high BC bullet in a case isn't as magic as it seems. For targets its great- but I went back to a 1in14 22-250 for varmints. A 40 or 50 grain .224 doesn't get much love on this forum.... but at 4000 fps its still pretty impressive.

I bet a bullet going that fast literally turns little varmints inside out.

I went with the 22 Creed now that brass is available. It still has a case capacity advantage over a 22-250AI by a little and no case forming. Feeds good out of AI and Desert Tech mags. Accuracy was very forgiving for me during load work up. Started with 41.0grs of H4350 at 3,250fps and went to 43.0grs at 3,450 with an 80gr ELDm. Could probably push it over 3,500 out of my 24” barrel but settled on 42.8 as my winter coyote load.