• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22 mag vs 22lr

Re: 22 mag vs 22lr

joe,
rule of thumb is 22lr is 50 yards and 22mag is 100 yards. I am sure that someone with ballistic program will give you the dope. I am selling my 22magnums due to the cost and noise. for the same small game I can be close or pick another more versitle caliber rifle. 22 mag is also much louder than std long rifle and cost considerably more. You may want to check out rimfire central website for the more detailed findings.
Good luck.
George of the Jungle

Thee 22 mag has more range before the bullet falls thru the trans-sonic zone and starts to open the groups up. If I'm not mistaken all 22 mag ammo start out super-sonic. As for the 22lr you can shot ammo that starts out below the speed of sound and it doesn't have to transion that throws off accurancy. As for as the 22 mag ammo not sure where the transison would fall, I would guess 150 to 200 yard range. You can run it on a ballistics program and it should tell you.

We have shot the sub-sonic 22lr ammo out to 250 yards. It a real good comparison to shooting a 308 at 1000y as for drop and how the wind affects it.

Note this is for target shooting not hunting.

.22WMR runs 1700-2100fps, depending on bullet weight. The 40gr runs 1850-2000 or so. I haven't looked at a chart lately, but suspect it goes trans-sonic well over 150yd.

With hollow points its pretty destructive on small edible game.

We've shot a bunch of turkeys to about 125-150 yd. But I've killed turkeys with .22lr solids also. I mean, you can throw a rock through them.

As a field gun, the main benefit is the flat trajectory, as noted above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the 22mag have more range potential than the 22lr? and if so how much more? And is it just as good for the same small game hunting?</div></div>

Does the 22mag have more range potential than the 22lr? yes

and if so how much more? almost twice as much, however may experience instability with the transonic thing further down range

And is it just as good for the same small game hunting? my experience, yes, and varmints out to about 175 and turkeys to about 125 with fmj

just be careful where you hit your small game, depending on what ammo you use you can mess them up pretty bad.