• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22 Nosler Real World Velocity

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    I will preface this by saying I KNOW THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH....but I'm still looking for one.

I'm looking for real world data on the 22" Nosler from 16"-18" barrels. Specifically the 77 and 70 Grain Nosler loaded ammo. I see Nosler posted some stuff where they have an 18" barrel seeing the advertised velocities they claim BUT any real world data that I have found has not produced advertised velocity.

My goal is to build a 16" suppressed AR that provides better ballistics then my old 20" DMR with 77 SMK's.

Looking to go 22 Nosler with 77's/70's or regular 556 with 69 TMK Black Hills load.

It appears to me that Nosler didn't build the brass to handle pressure well which is a huge fail. Also they didn't push the shoulder back so heavies could be used.

I know a guy that built a 22-6.8 with shoulder set back a tenth of an inch. It was when he discovered that SSA brass could handle more pressure that he got the velocities up. Like 2850 fps working fine with 90's in a 22" barrel. The other Co's brass would get ruined primer pockets with the same load.

Per Nosler's own load data, the 22 Nosler (https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/22-nosler/) with lighter bullets (50-55 gr), shows no advantage over regular .223 Rem... so it looks like the cartridge doesn't really make sense until you start talking heavy (for caliber) projectiles like you're talking about.

I am interested because I am thinking of doing a 22 Nosler bolt gun...

Bolt gun idea has crossed my mind as well but not sure what mags to use. Was wondering if the 6BR mag kit would run the 22 Nosler well.

Bolt gun idea has crossed my mind as well but not sure what mags to use. Was wondering if the 6BR mag kit would run the 22 Nosler well.

If I do it, I'll use a Howa Mini action; I already have one chambered in .223, and since the same action is available in 6.5 Grendel, I'm thinking that using the Grendel mags in conjunction with my .223 bolt will get me where I want to go with it.

I get 2800 fps out of my .223 ar with a 24" bull barrel using 77 gr nosler with 23.5 gr of H4895. I won several prs matches using this ar gasser. The brass only lasts about 2-3 firings and then you need to toss them.

The .22 Nosler seems inferior in every way to the various 6.5 Grendel necked to .224 calibers out their like .224AR, .224 Predator, .224 LBC, etc.

20" 70 rdf + 73 eld 30g h380 3100-3050 turned down gas, tungsten, cut spring ejector. Save brass with some having slight bends the potential is there but the brass is the huge factor. Contacted Nosler about the brass was given no response whether brass will be improved or if early manufacture brass was weak . I would go with the 6.5 grendel necked down use those 75 eld , 80 eld or base something off 6.5 lapua brass trimmed and necked down for next ar15 project. My other AR10s are picky with brass only use LC for ar10 and high pressure bolts, tungsten alot weights

20" 70 rdf + 73 eld 30g h380 3100-3050 turned down gas, tungsten, cut spring ejector. Save brass with some having slight bends the potential is there but the brass is the huge factor. Contacted Nosler about the brass was given no response whether brass will be improved or if early manufacture brass was weak . I would go with the 6.5 grendel necked down use those 75 eld , 80 eld or base something off 6.5 lapua brass trimmed and necked down for next ar15 project. My other AR10s are picky with brass only use LC for ar10 and high pressure bolts, tungsten alot weights

I wouldn't pick this caliber per say because I want to, just looking at the best options that provide great factory loaded ammo vs. reloading. I stock a lot of stuff to reload with for when I may really need it such as election years or if things get stupid again for awhile after a major incident. I prefer to normally shoot factory loaded stuff just for the sake of more time with the family and more trigger time.

I also plan to run either a EBCG from Lantec or LMT EBCG to reduce the pressure. Seems fitting since they work well in my over gassed SBR's, I figure some of the same tricks can be used with this caliber if it's extremely over gassed.

I have no experience and little information regarding the 22 Nosler. But I have done considerable testing with another, higher capacity than .223, chambering; the .22-250. It exhibited enough drawbacks to send me back to the .223 for all my .22 caliber applications.

The drawback, the big one, is barrel heating.

Accepted, the .22-250 isn't the .22 Nosler, but they likely share the same barrel heating trend. With the .22-250, the barrel heated to excessive levels under shooting cadences similar to match shooting strings. The.22-250's surgically excellent varmint quality accuracy quickly faded away after as few as 4-5 shots at the match firing cadences, and shooting the full string garnered significantly fewer points than the .223 under the same circumstances. Moreover, barrel cooling took proportionately longer to accomplish with the .22-250 than the .223. I had even done load development under deliberately heated barrel conditions, but nothing worked to alleviate the issue.

I had followed the irresistible temptation to build a .22-250 with a faster twist to accommodate heavier bullets. On paper, it looked like a sure win. On the range, the barrel heating issue rendered the basic concept infeasible.

Greg

What kind of profile was the barrel on the .22-250? I don't see how it would get the barrel any hotter than say .243win which does just fine. Sounds more like a barrel quality and/or profile problem than a caliber problem to me.