• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22 rifle accessories....

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
putting together a thread that'll pull the "what do i need to, or should get..." questions, listed in order of importance of what you've found was most beneficial.

example:

after picking the rifle you want you should get _________ for it."

on a savage mkii -
1. adjustable trigger if there is no accutrigger
2. 20 moa base or rings for longer range shooting
3. decent to good optics with target turrets, prferably a mildot or target dot reticle mounted with decent to good rings and scope lense covers for protection 22 scope+mounts+rings threads
4. some form of cheek rest on stock (integrated or strap on style)
5. bipod with rear bag
6. ammo that shoots well through rifle 22 ammo test threads
7. data book for reference
8. attached bubble level
9. oversized knob
10. extra magazines

add your 10/22's, marlins, cz's, 40x's, sako's, savages, etc. for what you put on it to enhance your shooting capabilities / experiences to help out "newbies" and "oldies" alike.

Re: 22 rifle accessories....

For the MKII, my Brother bought an adjustable replacement trigger from Cabela's that he was very happy with. I couldn't locate a reference on the 'net but at least it shows they're out there somewhere.

My MKII is old and very simple, corresponding mostly to what is currently marketed as the MK-IIF. I find it totally adequate to my needs once I had installed an Uncle Mike's front sling stud for mounting the Harris bipod. The only add/mods are Tasco rings for the grooved receiver, and my ubiquitous standard Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24 Mil Dot Scope. I slipped a fiber washer in between the stock and the barrel just ahead of the mounting screw, to jack the barrel out of the barrel channel and float it. It improved accuracy to the 'pretty good for a sporter barrel' stage, and I'm happy with it. Finally, I bought additional 10rd Savage factory mags enough to bring the total up to ten mags.

The rifle has served my needs and those of many of our youth marksmanship program participants for roughly the past decade. They call it 'Black Beauty'. Not bad for a $150 (including a fixed 8x32mm hunting scope) secondhand rimfire with an $80 Trashco scope slipped onto it.

These days, as I venture further into my dotage, I am rousing from my lethargy to contemplate crafting a one-off pine simulacrum of my .260 Rem Custom Ghost Dancer Savage's McMillan A3 stock for my MKII. Dream on softly, old galahad...

Greg

Here's my set-up on a CZ-452 American

Eric Brookes trigger kit, pull at about 1 3/4 lbs.
Free floated barrel-20 minute job
Rimfire Technologies 20 moa base
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 mildot
TRS rings
1/2 inch pipe insulation and duct tape for a cheek rest
Harris 6-9 bipod with a KMW pod-loc. The pod-loc is a great
improvement over the stock set-up
Ammo: Wolf Match Extra shoots very well through this rifle,
2nd choice would be CCI standard velocity, prefer that
over Wolf Match Target
I keep a notebook handy
and have 2 10 round mags and 5 five rounders, more is better

And, oh yeah, wind flags, wind flags, wind flags

This set-up shoots very well for me, I try to stay away from measuring performance by 5 shot groups, using 20 or 30 round groups instead for measuring performance (mine and the rifles)

Average 20 round group @100 yards right around 2-3 inches.
At 200, lets just say I'm happy with 10 in 6 inches. There are times at 200 I could measure groups in feet instead of inches, so if you're new to shooting a 22 at 200 yards be patient.

Best of all, this set-up is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

Curtis

For the Sako Quad I put on the following which have made it more fun to shoot:

-Rimfire Technologies 20MOA rail
-Rimfire Technologies metal trigger guard
-Patriot Arms bolt shaft/knob combo with Badger knob
-Manners T4 Quad stock
-extra 10rd mags which have functioned perfectly with 10rds for me
-Tornado-technologies thread job on the barrel to run a can
-SWR Spectre suppressor
- 6-9" Harris bipod
-Leupold Mark-4 16x mil-dot scope in Leupold Mark-4 rings