22 Zero Range?

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
What are folks here zeroing 22lr at? 20" CZ 457 with 0 moa base and SWFA 5-20x50. This will mostly be a 100 yd rifle, but will be used further as well as some closer hunting shots. 50 yd? Thanks.

I prefer to 0 my scope at 50, as any potential problems will start to show their face. If you zero at 50 and test at 100, you'll be more apt to notice problems with the ammo, barrel, etc. If I'm prepping for a shoot and want to make sure everything is dialed in, I'll test at a minimum of 50.

25 to 40 yards on a scoped 22 but you won't be able to hit a dime @20'. Seriously, that is almost 10'MOA. 22LR works best zeroed up close and personal.

Last edited by a moderator:
25 to 40 yards on a scoped 22 but you won't be able to hit a dime @20'. Seriously, that is almost 10'MOA. 22LR works best zeroed up close and personal.

That's why you use a ballistic calculator. Here's what I need for a 7 yard target:
Screenshot_20200221-104648.png

It's all pointless anyways. Where I'm at I'll never shoot less than 25 yards. It's fun knocking down gophers at 100+. At 200+ you can actually see the bullet arc in and thump them.

With my RPRR for NRL22 I Zero at 35 yards. Other common zero rangess would have left me with hold unders which I dont like
How often are you shooting precision shots at 35 yards as compared to 25/50? Other than the TYL/KYL 1/4" stick, there really aren't any where just holding a smidge low won't work, and on that stick, a hold under is irrelevant as you're not aiming at the very tip anyway.

How often are you shooting precision shots at 35 yards as compared to 25/50? Other than the TYL/KYL 1/4" stick, there really aren't any where just holding a smidge low won't work, and on that stick, a hold under is irrelevant as you're not aiming at the very tip anyway.
Paper stages are often at 35. Use hold unders if you want, but I fucking hate them.

You'll find that the majority of guys are zeroing at 50yds. While the 25/50 are close I tend to be able to get out further when zerod at 50. If you shoot competition there tend to be more targets at 50 than 25.

For a critter getter I zero at 20-25 yards (walk it out) as thats about how far I shoot rabbits and squirrels to eat and skunks and armadillos for pest control.

Of course you have a 5-20 scope with adjustable turrets so I am assuming hunting is very low on your list or you would have a different scope on board. The target shooters advice probably carries more weight than my own for your purposes.

What are folks here zeroing 22lr at? 20" CZ 457 with 0 moa base and SWFA 5-20x50. This will mostly be a 100 yd rifle, but will be used further as well as some closer hunting shots. 50 yd? Thanks.

I zero at 50 yards, and have gotten hits out to 475 yards using the Hornady ballistic program online. Anything inside 200 i rarely miss; the rifle groups under 1/2" at 50 yards if I do my part.

With regard to all who seek the Light,
Historian

I zero at 30 usually for several reasons:

My optic is a 25m parallax. So that’s about 27 yds. I can zero at max magnification and know I’m able to get parallax free without backing power down and messing with stuff.

It’s all dialing up for dope.

Less chance of wind influencing zero. Go into your software and take your .22 profile. Set the zero range to zero yards and then set a 5 and 10mph crosswind. Then input shooting distance to 30 and 50yds. You’ll see how much more wind can be a factor at 50.

Make a note of how many tenths 5mph and 10mph moves the bullet at 50yds

Now do the same thing with your centerfire rifle and see how many yards it will take to move the bullet the same amount at 5mph and 10mph.

You’ll likely find that a 50yd zero is almost the same as a 3 or 400yd zero on centerfire. As far as wind drift possibilities. And why don’t want zero at 3 and 400 with centerfire? Because environmentals become a larger factor and we only have to dial up for dope.

I zero at 30 usually for several reasons:

My optic is a 25m parallax. So that’s about 27 yds. I can zero at max magnification and know I’m able to get parallax free without backing power down and messing with stuff.

It’s all dialing up for dope.

Less chance of wind influencing zero. Go into your software and take your .22 profile. Set the zero range to zero yards and then set a 5 and 10mph crosswind. Then input shooting distance to 30 and 50yds. You’ll see how much more wind can be a factor at 50.

Make a note of how many tenths 5mph and 10mph moves the bullet at 50yds

Now do the same thing with your centerfire rifle and see how many yards it will take to move the bullet the same amount at 5mph and 10mph.

You’ll likely find that a 50yd zero is almost the same as a 3 or 400yd zero on centerfire. As far as wind drift possibilities. And why don’t want zero at 3 and 400 with centerfire? Because environmentals become a larger factor and we only have to dial up for dope.
This is the same reason why I ZERO at 30 yards.

Reactions: Dthomas3523