• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 1-9 twist

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
Hey guys,

Looking for some honest input here.

Running a 700P in 223, 1-9 twist factory tube. I know these things rick ragged holes with 68-69gr pills. I have never loaded heavier than that in the 223.

My question is this, with the 1-9 twist, how heavy a pill will it stabalize? Is it feasible to expect good accuracy with the 75-77gr pills?

Side note, I know all too well on the long throats on Remington's chambers.

Thanks in advance guys!

Re: 223 1-9 twist

It might, it might not. I know a lot of guys are punching out the 9 twist factory tubes to 223AI and running the 75gr Amax with no problems. I think the 75gr is right on the edge for a 9 twist. I just had mine punched to AI, but have yet to get it out and shoot it...

I tried the 75gr Amax out of my XCR 1-9 twist. They shot okay at best, around 1moa. I did not spend a lot of time working up loads due to limited time. It sure does like the 69gr SMK. I tried Varget and RL15 powders with CCI primers and Lapua brass.

Not all barrels were created equal! One 1:9 twist MAY stabilize and offer acceptable accuracy with heavier 75-77gr bullets while another MAY fall woefully short.

The only way to tell is to either buy some factory offerings in that weight range or load up some on your own and try them out. You will need to not only test for stability (i.e. - are the bullets keyholing or otherwise exhibiting signs of improper stabilization), but also accuracy. Just because you don't get signs of instability doens't mean that your rifle has a fast enough twist to keep them accurate.

My guess is that you'll be lucky if you can get heavier pills to work well for you from a 1:9 twist factory barrel, but again...YMMV.

Law Dawg,

My FNH TSR-XP USA (.223 Remington 1:9 twist) shoots 77gr Federal Gold Medal Match better than anything else I've fed it. Much to my surprise and contrary to reasoning, it liked the heavier bullet. I always shot 69gr thinking that it was the upper limit for the twist rate. In the course of running an ammuntion suitability test, I tried the 77gr just to see what would happen and it outshot all the other ammunition in the test in three different rifles. I'd buy a box or two of the Federal match just to see what happens before you invest too much in components on the high side.

Semper fi,

Mine is a factory rem tube and it doesn't like the heavier ones well enough to bother buying them. BUT it does quite fine with the 69s and 70s.

Buy a some different stuff and try it out.

Thanks for the input guys. Have a great recipe for Hornady 68's that shoots lights out in every 1-8 or 1-9 tube we have run it through.

Have a bunch of 77gr fodder on the way off a trade (if it ever gets here) and was curious. Worth a try & we will see how it does. All else fails, pull them and throw 68's in them.
wink.gif

My CZ-527 1 in 9 won't shoot the 77 smk but does like the 70 gr. Berger which is the same bc as the 77 smk.
Just finished up a fast twist (1 in 7) .223 that shoots 90 gr. Bergers into 1/2 moa.

You might check your barrel's actual twist - not all barrels are exactly to spec. Could be a little off one way or another, it's not unheard of. Just because the factory says it's a 9 twist barrel dosen't mean that it is exactly 9".

If yours turns out to be a little less than exactly 9" you may be in luck, but a little over 9, I wouldn't expect much success with 75 - 77's.

Paul

To all those that say they get the 75 or 77 gr bullets to stablize, what range are ya'll shooting. I've been thinking about trying these also but at 600 yards. I worry that just because there stable at 100 or even 200 they would start to wobble out further

I usually shoot 70 bergers. I loaded up some 75 AMAX and they shot about .5 moa at 100 yards. Some groups less, ragged holes. That didn't tell me much because my Savage shoots just about everything like that. It makes it hard to find the good load!

I haven't had a chance to try them at longer ranges yet.

Oh yeah it's a 223 AI. I think that might help a little with the heavier bullets. 1:9 twist.

I have taken the 70 bergers out to 700 yards and was hitting the steel without much of a challenge.

Da-Law-Dawg,

With my 700 tactical 223, I found the nosler 77cc to shoot the best closely followed by 70g berger vld and 69smk.

I can stabilize all of the 69,70,75 and 77 grain BTHP's. However the 80bthp and 75a-max will not, I saw 12" groups and profile impacts with these at 100y. Since your barrel is longer it may work out. I will also add, other owners of rem tacticals say they can get those to work in their rifle, but I can’t.

If you don’t mind the expense and the a-max isn’t working out, the berger 70vld is the way to go. They have the same (LITZ g-7) bc as the 77bthp and you can get them going at 69smk velocities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all those that say they get the 75 or 77 gr bullets to stablize, what range are ya'll shooting.</div></div>

I have used the 77's out to 300 on paper and they were printing nice round holes, beyond that has been steel targets only to 600y or so and as best I can tell they are still fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Side note, I know all too well on the long throats on Remington's chambers. </div></div>

Long chambers are your friend, use the newer 223 AICS mag and take advantage of that space.

As Cinch said, I might, or it might not. My 1-9 Douglas tubed 223 runs 75AMAXs very very well. Whereas a 1-9 Salvage and 1-9 factory 700 I had wouldnt run 'em worth a damn- the latter would occasionally put one nearly sideways @ 100.

My 1-9 Savage does a fine job with the Hornady 75gr BTHPM bullets at 2,860 fps, but didn't like AMaxs. I know they've done well out to 800 yards, but can't remember if I ever went beyond that with them.

My Savage .223AI loves 75 gr. Amax's Like everyone else says try it and find out. I never tried to shoot the 77's. Mine seems to like the 75's and I have had no reason to change. It does real well in the wind too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all those that say they get the 75 or 77 gr bullets to stablize, what range are ya'll shooting. I've been thinking about trying these also but at 600 yards. I worry that just because there stable at 100 or even 200 they would start to wobble out further </div></div>

It is actually the opposite. A bullet is most unstable at the moment it exits the barrel; as the forward velocity slows at a faster rate than the spinning velocity, a bullet becomes MORE stable, at least until it goes thru the sound barrier, but that is due to difference set of factors. So if you have a load that is stable at 100, it will be good out at 300, 400, 500, 600, etc. until you run out of mach speed.

I too was able to get the 77gn NCC to shoot out of my 5R 223.the load is 25.0gn's of IMR4007,CCI450,Lapua brass.cannot remember the OAL.but this is out of my rifel.

now I have worked up a really great load for this rifel.I went with the 69gn NCC and IMR8208xbr.did a ladder test and came up with 24.0gn's for the load.so fare this load has given me .300 size groups at 100 yards with me and the wife shooting it.and will give a 1.5" group at 300 yards all day long.I have no chrony but Quickload shows the load to be running 3000fps.and the dope is really close to the 3000fps Quickloads gave me.

again this is what I got out of my rifel.so work up too it if you want to try it in yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R milspec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no chrony but Quickload shows the load to be running 3000fps.and the dope is really close to the 3000fps Quickloads gave me.
</div></div>

5R milspec-
Tell me the air density you were shooting in and your 300yd come-up over the 100yd and I will tell you the MV. If you don't know the air density, the temperature and your altitude are good proxies...