• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.223 help

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I recently got some new hornady projectiles and am having some trouble with them.

I am loading 60g varmints and the projectile has to taper on the bottom and I am having trouble loading them with it not screwing the mouth of the case up any ideas. Also I could not find a tested coal in my book for a 60gr I am loading at 2.250

Also I got a box of 68gr match bullets and I loaded at 2.260 and I still heard the powder being compressed at that length. It's 23.5gr of 4064 will that cause any problem never had a issue like that

Lightly chamfering the inside of the case mouth will help to seat the bullet without crushing. Hornaday's rifle dies have a really cool sleeve that 'holds' the bullet in alignment with the case during seating, so that's another option.

As far as compressing powder, as long as you've started low and worked up to that charge without excessive pressure, there shouldn't be any problems. I would NOT recommend starting out compressed.

For the bullets, try to make sure the mouths are nicely chamfered on the inside. It you are still having trouble, you can try a belling technique, similar to what you do with pistol cases. Lyman makes a die called an M die that does this.

I have experienced crunching with 223 also but around 25 grains or so. I wouldn't worry about it. If it is overloaded, the pressure signs will warn you.

I run all mine at around 2.260+- and 25.3 grains of H335 on 55gr V-max with no issues at all. But I am running military brass and chambered in 5.56. I haven't taken the time to check the chamber to fine a max coal. If it fits in the mag I'm good with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I recently got some new hornady projectiles and am having some trouble with them.

I am loading 60g varmints and the projectile has to taper on the bottom and I am having trouble loading them with it not screwing the mouth of the case up any ideas. Also I could not find a tested coal in my book for a 60gr I am loading at 2.250

Also I got a box of 68gr match bullets and I loaded at 2.260 and I still heard the powder being compressed at that length. It's 23.5gr of 4064 will that cause any problem never had a issue like that

I just asked about this powder in .223 and was told to go to a smaller kernal powder such as Varget, h335, etc. Lots of options on powders with the .223 !

I wouldnt consider varget a small kernal. It May be shorter in relation to 4064, Im not familiar with 4064, but varget can bridge in a 223 case neck. It also seems to fill up the case and crunch when seating lighter weight bullets or longer boattails.

Varget and rl15 crunch for me. The only other powder I tried in my 223 is benchmark which is really small kernels, but that was for light bullets

As stated earlier, work your way up to the compressed charge. Once you get there, with no pressure signs, load a few and let them set overnight. Recheck OALs in the morning. If it's over-compressed, it'll push the bullet out slightly and make your OALs longer. That's when you know you've got too much powder in the case.

For my 223 I load 69 smk, 77 smk. 80 amax

All of these are for a bolt rifle with varget, so they are loaded longer than the OPs oal. loads range from 24.3g up to 25.5g. I get a crunch on every load, but I do not think it is overly compressed. Number one, they shoot well and do not seem to eat brass or throw pressure signs. After loading, even with the crunch, I can still shake the cartridge and hear a bit of powder moving. That tells me it is not totally squashed. Might be worth a try on yours.

As was said, check out your case necks. Be sure the chamfer well. What is your neck tension? Maybe they are a bit too tight?