• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 trainier advice

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
I’m considering selling my 40X or TAC 30 to fund building or buying a 223 on a model 700 action. My plans are to run this suppressed always, and shoot to a max of 700 yards at steel and paper.

Are there any “flavors” of 700’s to stay away from? Are the Varmint and the SPS models the same as the higher end models except for stocks, threaded and heavier barrels, etc? Reson I ask is that more than likely I will upgrade over time to a Manners or McMillan and I don’t want to pay extra for an HS precision or Hogue stock that I might not want. FWIW I already have an HS precision for a short action and it’s great. The Remington site didn’t differentiate between models except on price.

Given that 75% of the shots will be 600 yards and closer is a barrel cut to 16-17” sufficient? If having a 20” barrel is that much better, I can get my smith to cut and thread the varmint model and bed it to the HSprecision stock for less than the diff between the varmint and the LTR - gun broker prices.

Easy answer is to just go with an AR, but while I think everyone should have one, they don’t blow my skirt up like a bolt gun does.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

God bless America

IMO, the value of a trainer is having something as close as possible in weight, size, and handling to your primary rifle as you can, but with the longer barrel life and lower ammo cost of 223. I run a 26" GAP #6 barrel in my match rifle, so I went with a 26" Hawk Hill Marksman in my trainer. Similar (although not quite identical) chassis systems, identical optics and mounts (to allow easy swapping if needed), and identical triggers are on my match and practice rifles, as well.

I'll second the point on the 1/9" twist rates on Remington factory barrels. Even if you keep it 600 and in, you're going to want something more in the 8-7" twist range to allow for all of those awesome little 70-80gr projectiles. Mine has a 7.5" twist and eats 80gr ELD-Ms like they are candy - and at ~2900FPS, they shoot beautifully to 1200 yards.

Reactions: Afkirby
Have you thought about converting the 40x into a 223 remage? Bolts are easy to come by and using a barrel nut is simple.

@Skunkworx ,

I DID think of converting the 40X to a 223. It already has a .473 bolt and the 308 bbl on it right now is a half minute bbl. Switch barrel in the making - and the price of bbl, chamber and crown, plus bolt is slightly higher than a new factory remington. Yut yut.

@Hollywood 6mm, I'm with you on keeping things on a trainer the same as on the "go to." Right now the starter is a 700 300wm in a Manners T5a, Remington Varmint contour at 26", with a 4-16 PMII. Holds 1/2 min out to 750 with a variety of stuff. Not sure I'm in love with the T5A as much as I am with my McM A5, or the HS that the 40 X rides in at present. The shorter bbl with can is an attempt to approximate the balance of the 300wm. Key differences being lack of recoil and much cheaper ammo, and ability to suppress. Might reach out to you for reamer specs if this project gets off the ground.

Thanks gents and God bless America

@Skunkworx ,

I DID think of converting the 40X to a 223. It already has a .473 bolt and the 308 bbl on it right now is a half minute bbl. Switch barrel in the making - and the price of bbl, chamber and crown, plus bolt is slightly higher than a new factory remington. Yut yut.

@Hollywood 6mm, I'm with you on keeping things on a trainer the same as on the "go to." Right now the starter is a 700 300wm in a Manners T5a, Remington Varmint contour at 26", with a 4-16 PMII. Holds 1/2 min out to 750 with a variety of stuff. Not sure I'm in love with the T5A as much as I am with my McM A5, or the HS that the 40 X rides in at present. The shorter bbl with can is an attempt to approximate the balance of the 300wm. Key differences being lack of recoil and much cheaper ammo, and ability to suppress. Might reach out to you for reamer specs if this project gets off the ground.

Thanks gents and God bless America

Mine was built with a standard PTG 223 Match reamer - nothin' fancy. I run my 223 suppressed (well, DID... long story) for the extra recoil compared to my 6 Creedmoor, but I kept with the 26" barrel. I figure if my trainer is slightly longer and more awkward to manage than my match rig that it makes it that much easier to work with the 6. Hell, my 223 pushes me around more than my Creedmoor does thanks to the can (the 6 has a Hellfire on it).

Reactions: Scarface26
I have a remington 700 223 tactical with the factory 9 twist barrel cut down to 16 Inches. It sits in an HS precison stock with a magpul bottom metal and I use MDT 223 mags. I have worked up a stout load using the 73 gr Hornady eld and I have shot it to 1000 yards no problem.

Reactions: Scarface26