• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.223 vs .308

Truth223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Central,Il
New guy to the forum,so go easy on me
crazy.gif

Im buying my first bolt action in the next couple weeks.I own a 16" M4 and a savage mark II .22 right now,but im wanting something else for longer distance and accuracy. The range I shoot at goes to 300 yards. Theres a couple ranges around that go out to 600,but most of the time Il be shooting 100-300 I dont reload however so for now il be stuck with factory box ammo:( Ammo cost is a big factor in this decision.I wont be hunting either,this will just be a range rifle. Which caliber would work better for me? Im shooting a rem 700 .308 police tomorrow to get a feel for it and to see what im getting into. Would a .308 suit me or should I look into something else?

Re: .223 vs .308

For 100-300 most of the time (and you can take the .223 to 600 if you have the ability), and purely target, it's a no-brainer.
Given ammo cost is a primary consideration, the .223 is the choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 100-300 most of the time (and you can take the .223 to 600 if you have the ability), and purely target, it's a no-brainer.
Given ammo cost is a primary consideration, the .223 is the choice. </div></div>

arent most bolt action .223 rifles 1/9 twist though?

Go with a .223. Even if you plan on doing some occasional hunting and shooting beyond 600 yards, the .223 can do it if necessary. You can use the money you save on ammo to shoot more. The .308 is a better choice for shooting beyond 600 or hunting, but it sounds like this is not the primary use. I’d say it’s a no brainer.

+1 with everyone else for the .223, but be sure to get at least a 1-9 twist so you can shoot 69 gr FGM and maybe 75 gr Hornady match or 77 gr FGM for the 500 - 600 yd shooting. I have a 20" Remmy LTR that likes both for 500 yds. Most .223s are still coming with 1-12 twists to accomodate varmint bullet weights. Those would work fine for 100 - 300 yds, but they wouldn't stabalize the heavier bullets needed for the longer range target work. Generally, the tactical rifles will have the faster 1-9 twist rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 100-300 most of the time (and you can take the .223 to 600 if you have the ability), and purely target, it's a no-brainer.
Given ammo cost is a primary consideration, the .223 is the choice. </div></div>

arent most bolt action .223 rifles 1/9 twist though? </div></div>

No. 1/12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 100-300 most of the time (and you can take the .223 to 600 if you have the ability), and purely target, it's a no-brainer.

There are plenty of .223 twists out there, 1 in 9 is very popular. For the shooting scenario you describe, a good quality .223 bolt gun with a 1 in 9 twist would be just fine. And since you are planning to shoot factory, I would go with any of the top tier ammo houses brand, like FGGM, Black hills, ect. in a 68 or 69 gr bullet. For 100-600 yds you should be just fine.
The .223 is the best choice for what you seek, and once you get good with it, you can move up to a .308.

223 all the way and you defiantly want a 1-9 or faster twist so you can 69-77 BTHP's, Savage has a few 1-7's, that twist you would be good to go with all the heavy weights, 80 smk or 75-80 Amax. But you would have to reload to use those, Hornady makes a tactical (TAP) load with the 75 amax but I know of no other factory loading with those.

On the plus side, you all ready have a 223 and reloading will save you 30-50% over factory ammo unless you are happy shooting FMJ’s or cheap light weight varmint bullets, may as well make it easy on your self...

I will add, with the right bullet loaded in the 223 you can match the better 308 long range bullets, but you will need a 1-8 or 1-7 twist to get there. The 80 grain amax and 80 grain JLK's are where to look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 100-300 most of the time (and you can take the .223 to 600 if you have the ability), and purely target, it's a no-brainer.

There are plenty of .223 twists out there, 1 in 9 is very popular. For the shooting scenario you describe, a good quality .223 bolt gun with a 1 in 9 twist would be just fine. And since you are planning to shoot factory, I would go with any of the top tier ammo houses brand, like FGGM, Black hills, ect. in a 68 or 69 gr bullet. For 100-600 yds you should be just fine.
The .223 is the best choice for what you seek, and once you get good with it, you can move up to a .308. </div></div>

which rifles come with the 1/9 twist?

-Looks like the sps tactical comes with 1/9 twist. Il probably be looking into something like this to start off. Im shooting a .308 later this afternoon but as most people are saying go with .223 instead.

Go to remington's website

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx

Click on the ones you wish to look at then click on specifications tab, that will give you the rifling twist rate. Most are 1-12, the ones with special names like tactical and recon, etc. have the faster twist.

Savage is here

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/#

There is nothing wrong with 308's we were just under the impression that you wanted a cheaper to feed rifle. The 223 fits that bill.
wink.gif

So I got to shoot a rem 700 police .308 today. Wow that thing was fun.I only got to shoot offhand standing so there was a bit of muzzle climb but the recoil was very manageable. But like most people are saying im going to start with a .223 to learn the basics of bolt actions then il pick up a .308 later on. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

I bought a 700p with a 1:9 twist and I'm very happy with it. Great to shoot and not uber expensive to do so. I recently transplanted it into a tube stock to run in competitions under 600yds. If I need to shoot any further than than that I use my .300WM. I dont even own a .308 because I find it's a in between round for me. But that's just me, some competitions don't allow magnums. Also bang for the buck look into a used Remington 700 mil-spec 5R in .223 great shooting gun right out of the box.

.223 if you wanna go from 50 to 500 yards

.308 if you wanna go any where from 100 to 1200

simple as that

I'm not sure that the cheaper to shoot argument really stacks up-
I typically shoot FGMM 168gr out of my 308- I pay 20 bucks at ammotogo. The 223 FGMM costs $23/box. It looks like the black hills 223 match might be cheaper, but I don't know how it shoots. The op is not buying a gun for plinking, but rather for accurate target shooting, and therefore will eventually figure out that ammo type is as big a part of the equation as anything else. Sure, there is tons of cheap 223 plinking ammo out there, but in the truly match grade stuff I'm not sure its really cheaper than 308.

I think that the 308 is a much more versatile caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure that the cheaper to shoot argument really stacks up-
I typically shoot FGMM 168gr out of my 308- I pay 20 bucks at ammotogo. The 223 FGMM costs $23/box. It looks like the black hills 223 match might be cheaper, but I don't know how it shoots. The op is not buying a gun for plinking, but rather for accurate target shooting, and therefore will eventually figure out that ammo type is as big a part of the equation as anything else. Sure, there is tons of cheap 223 plinking ammo out there, but in the truly match grade stuff I'm not sure its really cheaper than 308.

I think that the 308 is a much more versatile caliber. </div></div>

I was just thinking about this today, and glad I used the search function. I am looking for a lefty bolt to replace my righty bolt in 308 for paper punching.All 308s in the models I'm looking for are out of stock but I can find great deals on the same model in 223. I was thinking that going to a smaller caliber would save on ammo costs, as I don't and don't plan on reloading in the near future. But as I checked into it, sometimes the match grade 223 is more than the 308 and when it is cheaper, not significantly. I enjoy taking my time with each shot, and taking the long walk to recover my targets. I rarely shoot more than 20 or 30 rnds a range trip (with the rifle anyway) so the ammo savings if any is small. Like the OP, my local range is limited, but there is a 1000yd range within an hour and a half drive that I plan on going to at some point. So if ammo cost was not a factor, and you were going for accuracy even under 600yds, I take it that most of you would recommend a 308 for its versatility and extra punch when needed. Or if you could have only one of the two calibers,it would most likely be 308?

Definitely .223. If you ever get to shoot out to 1000yards, the .223 will be a little more difficult to shoot accurately, but that doesn't out-weigh the money you will save with the cheaper ammo. Overall, you will shoot much more, cheaper.

+1 for the .223, I know quite a few guys who shoot beyond 800 yards (Berger 90 vlds) but require really fast twists like 1:6.5 For the range you are looking to do the .223 seems perfect. Also cost is low and it is really cheap to reload too.

I really liked my decision to build a fast twist .223 Remington. It has been a good training rifle and it is easy to shoot over 100 rounds during a practice session. Recoil is negligible and barrel heat is nothing compared to larger rounds. I have shot 30 round strings on a mild day and neither the barrel gets hot nor mirage off the barrel becomes a problem. Heavy weight bullet selection (75gr and up) is pretty good including Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, Berger. 1200 yards is no problem if you do your part.

I have just finalized my decision to build a 1:7 twist .223AI...

to get the AI you'll have to do some reloading, which as many have said saves TONS of money and you get better ammo in the process.

The SLIGHT downside is the somewhat expensive price to get started in reloading... but it will definitely pay off before too long.

I'm going to have my .223AI for cheap target shooting out to 1000, and I'll just use a factory 5R .308 (still dang accurate from what I've read) for hunting.