224 Grendel (224 AR, 224 Predator)

darth_ritis

money hater
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    It seems no one has started a thread with this chambering yet, so I guess I will.

My barrel is a 24" heavy barrel with 1:7" twist and Rifle+2" gas system length, with a matched bolt head.

* Norma 6.5 Grendel brass, necked down in stages using Redding bushing die with a .249" final bushing .
    * Sellier & Bellot small rifle primer
    * Hornady 88gr ELD-Match seated to 2.26" COAL
    * 29.1 gr Reloader 16
    * 2825 fps
    * single digit SD (need to verify)

I'll verify my E.S. and S.D. and chrono'd velocity over the holiday or next weekend, maybe even true it from 800y dope if I can get enough loaded and some cooperative weather.

I've been fiddling with QuickLOAD and I believe this load is just a hair over the 50,000 psi that Bill Alexander recommends for 6.5 Grendel (52,000 psi SAAMI max), so it should be a safe load that won't grenade the bolt head.

Best group so far is below. The barrel only has 57 rounds through it so far, so hopefully it picks up a bit of speed and settles into some nice tight groups.
    IMG_0503.JPG

.224 Grendel vs .224 Valkyrie
    • Thread starterK_4c
    • Start dateNov 16, 2017
    • You may find this thread helpful on the topic. Some promising data on the 75 and 80 elds. There was a question on the 1.7 holding up the 90 smks so it will be good to see your 88 eld results. Good luck

Got some questions:
    1)Barrel specs and who did the work
    2)How was the resizing process
    3)which mags are you using

I've been looking at ar15 wildcats. The 22x42(spc) looks pretty cool as well.

I settled on 28.9 grains of cfe223 with 75 eld’s running 2990 fps out of a 20” SS tube.

Not a big fan of cfe223 for temp stablelity, but my Es has consistently held under 20 fps... I’ve had consistent hits out to 1150 yards in moderate conditions.

22 Grendel has treated me very well. That said, user must use a high quality bolt (JP preferably).

I settled on 28.9 grains of cfe223 with 75 eld’s running 2990 fps out of a 20” SS tube.

Not a big fan of cfe223 for temp stablelity, but my Es has consistently held under 20 fps... I’ve had consistent hits out to 1150 yards in moderate conditions.

22 Grendel has treated me very well. That said, user must use a high quality bolt (JP preferably).
    What barrel?

Got some questions:
    1)Barrel specs and who did the work
    2)How was the resizing process
    3)which mags are you using

I've been looking at ar15 wildcats. The 22x42(spc) looks pretty cool as well.
    https://tacticalcannon.com/product/24-224-grendel-ar-15-barrel/
    1) I followed his recommended 3-step bushing resize process. Pretty tedious, but it worked.
    2) ASC 15 round mags (stupid Colorado laws)
    3) 22x42(spc) would be 224 Valkyrie, right?
    holdstillplease, how is that .224 grendel going for ya?
    Barrel has sped up a bit. 29.0gr load is now going 2835-2840. Accuracy is probably sufficient but I wish I could tune the groups a bit tighter. I may try some different bullets and powders soon.
    @holdstillplease would like to see more data on your set up! Sounds badass!
    Is there a thread in a different forum I should post on? I thought this was just for load data, so I'm hesitant to get too far off track.