• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22lr Barrel threaded for compensator, 1-9 twist.

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I am interested in purchasing a threaded barrel for a compensator and also one that has a 1:9 twist for the sniper 60gr bullets by aguila. Was wondering if anyone can give me feedback on the company known as Hi-Desert dog out of Nevada. Are they reliable ....etc. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 22lr Barrel threaded for compensator, 1-9 twist.

They do but can not get my hands on in that config. The one that I am interested is the muzzleweighted by green mountain and
Hi-desert Dog has them in stock. Was just wondering if anyone had done business with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They do but can not get my hands on in that config. The one that I am interested is the muzzleweighted by green mountain and
Hi-desert Dog has them in stock. Was just wondering if anyone had done business with them. </div></div>

I am assuming this is for a 10/22.

I don't know about the 1/9" twist for the SSS sniper ammo. I read somewhere that setup is better suited in a bolt action. Something to do with the smaller case heavier 60gr bullet leading to earlier ejection of shell while bullet is still traveling down the barrel leading to inconsistent velocities and accuracy.

As for the Hi-Desert Dog 16" .920 Bull Barrel Threaded 1/2"x28tpi, that was a nice barrel but you will need to do testing to see which bullet works best for you. The SSS will not normally stabilize in a 1/16" barrel twist. I would stick with the other subsonic loads for a 10/22.

Hope this helps,

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about the 1/9" twist for the SSS sniper ammo. I read somewhere that setup is better suited in a bolt action. Something to do with the smaller case heavier 60gr bullet leading to earlier ejection of shell while bullet is still traveling down the barrel leading to inconsistent velocities and accuracy. </div></div>

I've used the 60gr sss in my volquartsen 1/9 18" 10/22 and there is powder still burning while ejecting. I find it better suited for a bolt gun.

Well thanks for the info will order one for regular 10/22 lr. They have a muzzleweighted threaded for a silencer and am interested in that one.

Still my primary question has not been answered, anyone know anything about this company or can anyone tell me if they have a muzzleweighted barrel on their 10/22 and how accurate it is out to 100 yds.

I do not have any personal information, but over at Rimfirecentral i've read some pretty good reviews on the company... But again i do not have experience with that twist or that particular bullet.. hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thanks for the info will order one for regular 10/22 lr. They have a muzzleweighted threaded for a silencer and am interested in that one.

Still my primary question has not been answered, anyone know anything about this company or can anyone tell me if they have a muzzleweighted barrel on their 10/22 and how accurate it is out to 100 yds. </div></div>

Company is pretty good. I ordered from them before. Shipping was not immediate even thought their website allows buying of barrel and shows instock. I guess I expect immediate shipping because that is what I do. I waited about a week before the product started shipping. Accuracy wise the chamber on my 16" threaded barrel did not seem to be a match chamber. My green mountain barrel was a match chamber and had trouble chambering and cycling cheap ammo. This was NOT the case with the Hi-Desert Dog barrel. You could feed it anything. To me this led to reduced accuracy compaired with my Green Mountain (the one that would not cycle or chamber cheap stuff like the Rem Golden Bullet). In my experience the barrel I got was more accurate than the original stock 10/22 barrel. I did tests with different bullets 18 different ones to be exact. I did not shoot the super expensive stuff like the lapuas, eley, or rws how ever I here is what I shot:

Wolf Match Extra
Wolf Match Target
Fed Gold Medal target
Fed Bulk Maroon Box
Fed Auto Match Target
PMC Moderators
PMC Scoremaster
CCI Std Velocity
Remington Eley Target Rifle
Remington 22 Target
Remington 22 Thunderbolts
Remington 22 Golden Bullet
Remington 22 Subsonics
Winchester x22lrsuba subsonics
Winchester x22lr 40gr
Winchester x22lrh 37gr
Winchester x22lrpp power points
Winchester ww22lr wildcats

The best ones in my barrel was the Wolf Match Target. Yep I don't know why but the match target did better than match extra which is good for me so I spend less money and get better accuracy. My best group with wolf match target was .4" at 50 yards to give you an idea of the level of accuracy I was getting.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Gene