• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.22lr conversion for AR15

amundbr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Eau Claire, WI
I thought there would have been a topic on this already but the search said otherwise. So my apologies in advance if I failed to do a proper search. Has anyone used the CMMG .22lr conversion for there AR15? I have a lot of spare time to shoot right now and buying .223 is damn expensive. I guess I am just paranoid that shooting a .22 out of a barrel meant for a .223 isnt good for it. If anyone would like to offer there .02 it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: .22lr conversion for AR15

I purchased a NIB TacSol upper from another Hide member and haven't looked back. That thing is a blast and one of the "favorites" I bring to the range on qual days. It eats almost everything, mostly a nice diet of the Federal 550 pack stuff. You'll spend a bit more but I dont think you'll be disapointed at all.

My .02

You are better off getting a dedicated 22lr upper: more accurate for sure and probably more reliable. A couple choices I know of:

Compass Lake Engineering: top-notch, cant go wrong here
Accuracy Speaks in AZ: same
Spikes Tactical: heard good stuff, but not sure if the barrel is as good as what CLE uses.

A conversion will work but if you have a 1:7 twist it's way to fast for decent accuracy. Rather than getting a dedicated upper I get a SIG 522. Thet are very reliable and accurate and eat anything you feed them. I've seen them priced as low as $390 on some boards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJPLEO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased a NIB TacSol upper from another Hide member and haven't looked back. That thing is a blast and one of the "favorites" I bring to the range on qual days. It eats almost everything, mostly a nice diet of the Federal 550 pack stuff. You'll spend a bit more but I dont think you'll be disapointed at all.

My .02 </div></div>
Another vote for the TacSol dedicated upper. I don't care for the sleeved barrel LT versions, but the TacSol AR22 M4 Upper is pretty cool and comes complete <span style="font-style: italic">less a rear sight.</span> Add a rear sight or other optic, drop it into your lower and start shooting.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> TacSol recommends the use of a round (non-notched) hammer with their upper for best reliability, but this seems to be a case-by-case requirement (a woman at TacSol told me that some shooters using notched hammers were fine, but others - myself included - have had to change hammers).

I plan on putting together another lower so I'll have a dedicated AR22 for my daughter to shoot, but below are some photos of my Frankenstein TacSol /LWRC M4 AR22 upper.

I bought a TacSol AR22 Receiver, Bolt, and M4 profile barrel from <span style="font-style: italic">crossgun</span>, then added a barrel nut, charging handle, A2 flash suppressor and cone washer I got at a gunshow.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TacSol AR22 Receiver, Hardened SS Bolt, and 1:16 M4 Contour barrel:</span></span>
StrippedTacSolAR22Upper2.jpg

TacSolAR22EtchedLogo.jpg

Then I bought a BLACK LWRC Rail and LWRC-logo Troy BUIS' and mated them with the rest of the parts I had acquired and created:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My dedicated Frankenstein TacSol / LWRC AR22 Upper:</span></span>
TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperRSBUIS8x6-1.jpg

TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperLSBUIS8x6-1.jpg

TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperRSRABUIS8x6-1.jpg

TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperLSRABUIS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of fore end and free-floated barrel:</span></span>
LWRCRailCoverOff8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of SS Bolt and rear BUIS:</span></span>
TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperEjectionPort8x.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've thought about a conversion, but have decided a Ruger SR22 makes more sense. </div></div>

My wife had a SR22, it was a nice rifle, but the workings were not at all similar to a AR style weapon. Its just a ruger 10/22 action dressed up like an AR.

+1 for a dedicated 22 upper. I picked up one of Spikes Tactical's dedicated uppers and it's a blast. Still a bit picky on ammo, but it really likes the federal bulk pack ammo and runs that without a hiccup. It's pretty nice being able to go burn 500 rounds and have to listen to my wallet cry the whole time.

Go for a dedicated upper, it'll be the best bet in the long run.

The dedicated uppers look great but I want time with a new AR. Will the conversions give a reasonable level of accuracy with 1:8? Will using a conversion leave deposits at the throat of the chamber and degrade accuracy?