• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

243 ackley vs 6.5 creed for comp gun?

243 AI wouldn't be my first choice for matches - they feed like dog shit and aren't real efficient since you have to stay under 3200 fps. If those are your only two options, go 6.5

If they would let you shoot 3300 or 3400 fps, which I think you could do with a 105 a guy might be able to get past the feeding of the 243AI but with shoulders that square on a cartridge that long in a in short action, I really don't think you'd be happy.

If they would let you shoot 3300 or 3400 fps, which I think you could do with a 105 a guy might be able to get past the feeding of the 243AI but with shoulders that square on a cartridge that long in a in short action, I really don't think you'd be happy.

6slr? That has a 30 degree shoulder instead of the 40 degree shoulder correct? Does it feed better ?

Stick with the creed. Hate to say it but when I get lazy and don't want to load the factory stuff is really good. I don't think I dropped many points because of the cartridge, more of the dumb ass pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Grant77
6slr? That has a 30 degree shoulder instead of the 40 degree shoulder correct? Does it feed better ?

I had 2 SLR's, one is still an SLR and the other is now a 6.5 Creedmoor. The SLR is a great round and fed perfectly in both the bolt gun and the gas gun, but with the speed limits and available Creedmoor ammo and brass there's no real reason to go wildcat.

I have both and if my concern was performance AI all the way. Try some ballistic calcs with the 115 DTAC at 3200 or even 3100 and compare it to the 6.5 Creedmoor. I use the 130 Norma bullet in my Creedmoor most people use the 140/142 weight. There is no doubt which is the better round performance wise. I have an AI in a Bighorn action using AICS mags and there are absolutely no feeding issues. Most people that say they feed poorly are just repeating what they've heard/read, in reality (in a quality action at least), there are no feeding issues. I used .580 G1 bc on the old style DTAC and I was shooting high. The new DTACs people claim were shooting high using .620 as an initial BC. Sounds great, but I can't verify.

I can also say I love shooting my Creedmoor and if you don't want to worry about case prep and want to just be able to buy ammo and shoot it wins hands down. If I was shooting comps I'd probably go with the 6 Creedmoor and just shoot something in the 105-108 weight class and call it a day. Easy to find bullets or loaded ammo, and no extra case prep needed. I'm having this same sort of debate myself for the next build, but I'm trying to decide between the 6 Creed and a 6.5 short mag round.

I wasn't insinuating there were feeding "issues" in my first post on this subject but rather all my AI cartridges do not feed SMOOTH, and because of that it does slow me down when trying to feed fast. That shoulder on the AI was not designed to feed smooth and nice but rather for powder capacity and to gain performance from the cartridge. I will always own AI cartridges but never again in a comp rifle. They have their time and place and there are better options out there than an AI cartridge for matches.

My answer to OP would be 6.5 creed.

I have been shooting 6.5 creedmoor and recently built a 6 creedmoor. I have been using Hornady ELD ammunition in both rifle. Both rifles shoot great.

I have given the 6.5 creedmoor rifle to my wife. 90% of her hunting is with the cartridge so it makes sense for her to take that rifle over.

I however have made the switch to the 6 creedmoor and shooting better than I ever have. I also at the same time made the switch to a TreMor 3 reticle. I dont know if its the cartridge or the scope that has made the difference for me. Im guessing its a combination of both.

I'm a believer in the 6 creedmoor. I have sense built a 6 creed hunting rifle and picked up a JP in 6 creed.

Of the 2 I would say 6.5 creed for a combo gun where you have a speed limit. A coned breach like a spr or mod70 action fixes any feeding issues the 40 degree shoulder presents. I run a 260ai in an spr action and they feed almost as good as the straight 260. I

if you're wanting to run a 6mm bullet for a comp gun, I wouldn't go bigger than the 6-47L. Although the 243 with H1000 works well also.

Running an improved version of the 6.5 SLR-S (short action mag fed) and have zero issues with feeding. I doubt the 6SLR would be any different. A fellow on the otherside of the Atlantic also is running the same and his expeience mirrors mine.

I am currently at 1300 rounds with a .243 shooting 105's. Using retumbo at 3047 fps. Im either on the edge of life ending barrel failure or ive got more rounds to go. I also shot the first 850 rounds at 2820 with 4831 sc. So shooting that slow should produce longer barrel life.
to the op: i say go 6mm of your choice. Low recoil gets me more shots spotted than low impact on heavy targets, although it has happened while i was shooting at 2820 fps.

​​​​​​

I have a 243AI...and as soon as the barrel is gone, I wont anymore. The Creed is just so much easier.

And yes, they feed like ass...I ave mine to where its better....but better ass is still ass.

Does no one here believe in nitriding the barrel? Every lapped barrel I have had nitrided has lasted longer(current 243ai) is at 2500 rounds and counting with 30 fps loss and still half minute groups. For the minimal cost to nitride is has been worth it.

I would do a 6 creed for a comp gun. easy and does everything you need for speed. factory ammo, good brass and dies available etc... I run 6x47 and if I wasn't fully vested in the 47 case id do a cm.

I shoot 243AI at 3250-3280fps depending on powder. I have experienced ZERO feeding issues. Case life is awesome. If limited to 3200 perhaps other round will get you there. I will replace this barrel with another 243AI.