Hunting & Fishing 257 Weatherby bullet choice help

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
okay i used the search as well as the advanced search and could not find anything on this, so sorry if its been covered. I am looking for a good .257 weatherby hunting bullet. im open to reloading and have the equipment if components are better than what is available in factory ammo. my mane focus right now is the bullet. This will be used on deer size game anywhere from 30 to id say 500 yards. a high ballistics coefficient would be nice, but i really want a reliable hunting bullet more than anything. Ballistic tip bullets raise some fear in me... let me know if that should not be the case?

help would be great. recovered bullet pics and exit wound pics would be awesome

Re: 257 Weatherby bullet choice help

Engine22 i have heard the barnes have a tendency to not expand every time. do you know if that has ever been the case?

I would like to hear lots of opinions

I can't speak about "every time," but my experiences have been very positive. There are far too many variables involved to say it can't happen. Try them out and let us know what you learn.

I have had 100 % success with BTS bullets. Quite a few critters. One thing to remember is that most "bullet failure" stories you hear are told by people who did not recover game and thus know little about what actually happened. Poor bullet preformance is a whipping boy for bad shooting in many cases, not that is does not happen at times.

I shoot the 85 grain Barnes TTSX at 3550 fps and it is devastating on whitetails. Rifle is a Tikka 25-06 with a 1 in 10 twist. Six whitetails were shot with this bullet I loaded last year. Only one took a step and he was gut shot. Three of the deer were a little over 200 lbs.

Try them, you'll love um. Shoots one hole at 100 yards.

Eddie

I've killed some big ass critters with my .257 Weatherby using 120gr partitons. I wouldnt hesitate to use it on anything up to the size of elk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 257 is about the same bullet as the 25-06, I love the Barnes TSX in my 25. </div></div>

its exactly the same bullet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 257 is about the same bullet as the 25-06, I love the Barnes TSX in my 25. </div></div>

its exactly the same bullet </div></div>

Well there you go. I wasn't sure and I hate to mis-speak.