• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

257 weatherby or 25-06

Re: 257 weatherby or 25-06

.257 weatherby all day long - especially since you will be reloading.

I'm assuming this is a new build? I'm sure you know, but the 25-06 is long action standard bolt face and .257 weather by is long action mag bolt face.

.257 was Roy Weatherby's favorite - there must be a good reason!

I just picked up a 25-06 Rem 700 ADL with a cracked/busted stock from a pawn shop. I bought it for a donor rifle for the action. If you have a Rem 700 LA we might be able to work out a trade or I can sell you the barrel if you are interested.

As per 257 WBY or 25-06, I am not a whole lot of help. I never got in to .25 caliber. Buy I am a WBY owner and I do love them. That being said, they are sometimes finicky and can take a while to develop a load. And as previously posted, ammo is hard to find at many gun shops if you forget or lose the ammo on a hunt. Not that I see a lot of 25-06 in the gun shops either.

I'm running a .25-06. If you go that route try IMR 4831 and Sierra 117 grain GMKs. My rifle likes it right around 3050 fps. It takes down deer all day long down here in texas. That said, if i was going after mulies at the ranges you are talking i may want to go to the 120s or look to a larger caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColeGrizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this will be a target and p-dog gun only.
</div></div>

I own both guns and both will easily kill p-dogs and hit targets at 600 yds. The 257 is a much flatter harder hitting round and will be a more expensive round to shoot/reload since the brass is more money and the powder capacity of the 257 is more then the 25-06.

as far as performance I favor the 257 but I have killed antelope and mule deer with my 25-06 out to 275 yds and they didn't make it far and I used 117 grns. Also killed p-dogs out to 500.

If money isn't an issue I would recommend the 257 becuase it is just a sweet round and extremely accurate as well.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColeGrizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this will be a target and p-dog gun only.
</div></div>

I own both and consider neither a dedicated\prairie rat gun.
I have done both with both calibers and there are better cartridges for each discipline.
The 257 WBY is my favorite and I have one built with a heavy barrel that is pretty much used for coyotes.
Barrel life will be short if used prairie dog gun, to much recoil and to much powder for that.

Both are fun cartridges and make fine deer, antelope rounds.
A fast twist .223\.224 caliber using the the 70 to 80 grain projectiles would be better suited to a 600 yard rifle that will be shot repeatedly.

I hunted with a 25-06 for years, very capable of taking mulies I know because I have. Loaded with H4350 and 117's mine was shooting at 3200fps. It shot dime groups, but only after the install of a new trigger. The ammo is readily available also.