• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

260 Rem. Reloading Cost & Advice Please

dbransco

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hey, I am thinking about purchasing a 260 and starting to reload. I have used the Google Sniper's Hide search engine and could not find any recent info. related to the approximate cost per round (now that brass is available) for reloading 260 Rem., so I appologize if it has been discussed previously and I have overlooked it. I am just looking for some average costs per round to reload, as well as any suggestions on what equipment to purchase. Like I said, I am new to reloading and am starting with nothing. I am thinking about a AIAW 260 with a 24" barrel, but don't have an idea on specific loads to try at this point.

Thanks for your time,

Dusty

Re: 260 Rem. Reloading Cost & Advice Please

I've got an AIAE MKII with 24" .260. These are my figures on the last purchase I made for components per round:

Powder .10
Brass(Rem) .40
Bullet(139).30
Primer .31
TOTAL 1.11 PER ROUND.

Those are my figures and may be conservative. My load is 42 grs. of H4350 with a Lap. 139 seated at 2.810. Start on the lower end and work up on your charges.

Thanks for the responses! I have also found the Reloading 101 posts, so I am gaining a little better understanding of what is required. The funny thing is I actually grew up reloading a lot of shotgun ammo and had all the rifle reloading equipment right in front of me, I just was never taught
smile.gif

Thanks again,

Dusty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an AIAE MKII with 24" .260. These are my figures on the last purchase I made for components per round:

Powder .10
Brass(Rem) .40
Bullet(139).30
Primer .31
TOTAL 1.11 PER ROUND.

Those are my figures and may be conservative. My load is 42 grs. of H4350 with a Lap. 139 seated at 2.810. Start on the lower end and work up on your charges. </div></div>

You shoot the most expensive primers I've ever heard of.
wink.gif
I'm betting you meant .031, which brings your cost/rd. to $.83/rd. If you amortize the cost of brass across several loadings (My Lapua is on reload #7 and shows no sign of end of life)your cost/rd. will go way down.

John

Powder: $0.20 (48gr 4831SC)
Bullet: $0.24 (123gr A-Max)
Primer: $0.03 (WLR)
Brass: $0.48 (Nosler)

Total: $0.93 per round

My Nosler brass is on its 4th firing, so depending on how you break down costs, I'm currently at $0.59/rd with brass amortized to that point OR $0.47/rd for every round beyond initial firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an AIAE MKII with 24" .260. These are my figures on the last purchase I made for components per round:

Powder .10
Brass(Rem) .40
Bullet(139).30
Primer .31
TOTAL 1.11 PER ROUND.

Those are my figures and may be conservative. My load is 42 grs. of H4350 with a Lap. 139 seated at 2.810. Start on the lower end and work up on your charges. </div></div>

What MV are you getting with this ? thx

I shoot 260 Remington and here is my cost breakdown. Lapua 260 brass .90 cents, 42.3gr. Vit. 550 powder .185 cents, Lapua scenar 139gr. bullet .30 cents and CCI BR2 primer .04 cents. That totals $i.425 per round, that would amount to $28.50 for a 20 round box.

I'm in a similar boat, I'm just getting geared up for reloading .260. Thought I'd share what I've read here. Keep in mind, I've not loaded this way...yet.

A lot of folks are using Winchester 7mm-08 brass. You simply run it through a FL sizing die and you have 260 brass that generally has better 'respect' in terms of brass life. It's not Lapua brass by any means, but it beats out the Rem 260Rem brass according to my extensive research on numerous sites. Obviously the Lapua brass is going to win hands down, but it's 2x a much.

I haven't found out which FL sizing die works best for this...yet.

The biggest complaint is the Rem brass is considered soft and the primer pockets tend to loosen up. The Win 7-08 brass is cheaper and will likely last longer, but you have an extra step. One might argue you should FL size each piece of virgin brass.

I personally plan to use a Redding Body Die and a Lee Collet neck sizer. Each are about $25. The beauty IMHO here is that you do not need to lube your cases with either die (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You will have to change the die out if that hurts your feelings for whatever reason.

The Lee collet die, which a lot of folks despise (Ford vs. Chevy in my book) seems to generate brass with very little run out and is drastically cheaper than the bushing dies. If you turn necks, the bushing dies are probably right up your alley and may be better. YMMV.

Then grab a seater die. I'm very happy with both my Forster 308 micrometer seater and my Redding 6.5CM seater.

Hope this helps and sorry to get off topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally plan to use a Redding Body Die and a Lee Collet neck sizer. Each are about $25. <span style="color: #FFFF00">The beauty IMHO here is that you do not need to lube your cases with either die (someone correct me if I'm wrong). </span> </div></div>

You will need to Use lube on your body die or you will stick the brass in the die.

Dude seriously?

Are we really becoming this lazy and can't wrangle up basic math skills?

Here's the "tricky" part = 1lb of powder = 7000 grains

Powder Cost: Now go into the reloading depot and get an idea for the powders and charge weights most folks are using or stay within the standard book load limits on Hodgdon.com's reloading pages. To calculate most expensive powder cost use the highest book charge weight.

Let's say 42.5grains of H4350 is a good load with a 139 or 140gr bullet. You'd be able to load about 164 cartridges with this powder/bullet load combination (7000 / 42.5)

Bullet Cost: Pick the bullets you want, divide the price by the number of bullets you purchased.

Primer Cost Per round: Purchase 1000 primers, divide the price you paid by 1000.

Brass cost: Same as bullet or Primer cost Price you paid divided by quantity will give you the cost for one piece of brass.

Add all of the individual costs for brass, powder, primers and bullets you'll get the price per round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wrongside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 260 Remington and here is my cost breakdown. Lapua 260 brass .90 cents, 42.3gr. Vit. 550 powder .185 cents, Lapua scenar 139gr. bullet .30 cents and CCI BR2 primer .04 cents. That totals $i.425 per round, that would amount to $28.50 for a 20 round box. </div></div>

Wow so really buying new box of ammo to first shoot is not so bad. Then you really save on the brass when you reload.