• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

260AI vs 6.5x284

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
How do these two chamberings stack up against each other for long range (1000 yards) shooting. I am already thinking about another rifle build and i dont even have my first two back yet. I think i am sick!! LOL!! I want a long range thumper under a 30cal. Thanks Lee

Re: 260AI vs 6.5x284

Ofcourse the 6.5-284 has more capacity but I don't think there is too much difference in case capacity between the two. As a result, they probably have similar barrel life.

What may be a deciding factor is the 6.5-284 would benefit more with a LA than the 260AI. Also there's better brass available for the 6.5-284 without fireforming.

If you don't already have a donor action, maybe a 7WSM (mag boltface). OR 6mm Rem AI/6mm Crusader.

I've had excellent results with my 260 AI so far, especially since I went to using 243 Lapua brass instead of the Remington brass. That resolved my brass/primer pocket consumption by a considerable margin. Barrel life so far has been good, with right at 2000 rounds through it. It may start opening groups up tommorrow, but so far so good! That was one of the main reasons I tried the 260 AI, to see if it had an appreciable barrel life advantage, but similar ballistic performance to the legendary 6.5-284 and I've been very happy with it. Like buffybuster said, the action length (SA vs LA) may be a factor for you, and also if you're planning on using a mag system, I've heard of folks having feeding problems with the AI cartridges (mine's single shot, so I have no experience with this, just heard of it.) Hope this helps, and if you need any more info feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out further, at least from the 260 side of it anyway!

My 6.5-08AI (same as 260AI) shoots great. I have about 1200 rounds down the tube so far and accuracy is still .5MOA. I use Lapua 243 cases, Hodgdon H4350, Wolf Large Rifle Primers, and Lapua 139gr Scenar bullets. There is a slight donut at the neck/shoulder junction, but this does not appear to impair accuracy.

H4350 is a little fast for this round, so it may be better to use H4831SC or a similar powder.

There are no issues feeding this round out of AI magazines in an AICS. Loading the magazine full is a little tight because the body taper of the round is less than the 308.

There's a good page on this round at: http://www.the-long-family.com/260AI.htm

I probably wouldn't build another one because fire-forming AI cases is a PITA. The 6.5x47 Lapua may be an attractive factory offering with excellent brass. Alternatively, the 6.5 Creedmore is a similar round. Both lose only a little in performance compared to the 6.5-08AI.

--Rootshot