270 vs 308?

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
im new to this game and have a ton to learn so bare with me. but i currently have a Tikka t3 270. it shoots sub MOA. i would like to get into long range shooting. but i need to know if this gun will be sufficient. it seems like 308 is a lot more popular choice. reviewing ballistics charts the 270 appears to have flatter trajectory and bucks the wind decently the only thing is there is no match ammo for it.

so i guess my question is will this work? how much better is a 308?

Re: 270 vs 308?

I wouldn't say it's a matter of "better". There's just more information and probably more component options for .308 over .270. If .270 works for ya, use it. Develop a good load and you'll get a tad more range out of it than .308... But it does kick harder. I know... I'm a wimp!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't say it's a matter of "better". There's just more information and probably more component options for .308 over .270. If .270 works for ya, use it. Develop a good load and you'll get a tad more range out of it than .308... But it does kick harder. I know... I'm a wimp! </div></div>

a buddy of mine has a savage in 270. when we go shooting together and we try each others rifle, the recoil of the 270 is the same as my 308 and i was shooting 168 gr BTHP out of my 14lb rifle while hes shooting the 180 SP out of his 10lb rifle. im not sure if this is correct, but isnt the cartridge capacity of the 270 and the 308 similar?

The big advantage to the 308 is just the huge selection of well everything for it. Data, componemts, rife parts. The 270, well loaded and if it had a better bullet selection would be a great round. I think it is second to only the 3006 as far as hunting rounds in north america. I would say if you handload keep the 270 and burn out the barrel getting good trigger time then switch later. Otherwise unload the tikka now before deer season, you should get a good price from a local hunter and get a used rem700 in 308

Agree with a lot of the above, the .308 has a much better selection of componants, data, and if you don't reload. Good, sort of inexpensive factory match grade ammo. There are also a fair amount of good .308 factory rifles out there that won't break the bank either.

Good luck,

JamieD

Keep the Tikka and shoot the piss out of it, and when its time for a new BBL you can re-chamber for ’06 or have a long action 308. The Army has been running LA 308’s forever and a day. Also I wouldn’t trade a shot out Tikka for new 700 on a bet!

I have a Tikka T3 lite, very accurate, entirely dependable.

Keep the Tikka, it's a great gun.

Invest in a decent reloading setup and you'll see groups shrink even more.

Mine loves Winchester 130-gr silvertips.

Shoot with what you have. Don't go making changes based on forum responses. Make changes based on your own knowledge and experience. The 270 will compete well at long range. As you shoot more with others, you'll figure out the answers for yourself.

PS. I'm assuming you reload. If not, the 308 will have much better factory ammunition available. Of course, you'll pay an arm and a leg for that factory ammo and then you'll eventually begin reloading. So, if you don't reload, might as well start either way.
smile.gif