28 Nosler chamber for magazine fed

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
I have a long action in the works, in trying to figure out how much freebore to run with 180's or 195's to still magazine feed with some room to chase lands. What are y'all running? This rifle needs to feed reliably for elr matches.
Thanks

interested in the same info.. I have a sammi spec reamed barrel that shoots 180 hybrids and eldm's really well and can fit easily into a 5 rd CIP length dbm.. I forget off the top of my head what my OAL is but its for sure over 3.340, for some reason 3.58 sticks in my memory.. I have a long action laying around and want to put a proof carbon on it and stay with a BDL for hunting..

There's a 1-7.5 proof carbon in the px right now....

Get a hold of Ryan Pierce. He builds a good number of 28 nosler hunting guns and could answer all the questions you have.

Jumping in on this thread.. wondering the exact same info. I've contacted Ryan as well, very nice guy very helpful but I'm using a r700 donor and he only works with custom actions.. currently working with Mark at accuracy ordinance.

Any info on this would be helpful. Using 338 CIP length mags.

P.S. @NorthWesterner didn't mean to highjack your thread. Just looking for the same info.

I had a 28 Nosler built on Defiance LA with Badger M5 bottom metal using 338 CIP mags (3.850") and had plenty of room using the Berger 195 EOL's. I have since sold the rifle, so I don't remember what my COAL was? However, I currently have the same setup in a 30 Nosler and am loading the Berger 230-Hybrids to 3.700". Reliability and smooth feeding on both platforms.

I had a 28 Nosler built on Defiance LA with Badger M5 bottom metal using 338 CIP mags (3.850") and had plenty of room using the Berger 195 EOL's. I have since sold the rifle, so I don't remember what my COAL was? However, I currently have the same setup in a 30 Nosler and am loading the Berger 230-Hybrids to 3.700". Reliability and smooth feeding on both platforms.

Mind if I pm you and pick you brain? I'm currently in a debate of which caliber for my next build 28n and 30n are in the list

28 Nosler diagram.jpg

This reamer is set up for a 197 SMK at the neck/shoulder junction which equals a 3.740' ish OAL. Way over SAAMI, just inside CIP magazines.

Jumping in on this thread.. wondering the exact same info. I've contacted Ryan as well, very nice guy very helpful but I'm using a r700 donor and he only works with custom actions.. currently working with Mark at accuracy ordinance.

Any info on this would be helpful. Using 338 CIP length mags.

P.S. @NorthWesterner didn't mean to highjack your thread. Just looking for the same info.
I have this figured out. I am having Jeremy Lair fit and chamber the rifle. We spoke at lengths about this issues. Feel free to pm me.

Reactions: Nomad909