28 nosler throat erosion?

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
Trying to figure out how much throat erosion to expect with the 28 nosler. I’m spec’ing a chamber throat and need to be able to chase lands while still feeding out of a cip length box mag shooting 195 Berger eol. What freebore are people running for cip dbm? How much throat erosion are you seeing with 195’s?

My shooting partner has a 28 in a Proof CF barrel and feeds it 195 Bergers moving around 3080 FPS. Never shoots excessive consecutive rounds or really hot loads (from a pressure standpoint). With a touch over 400 rounds through the tube, the throat has moved .015” - .020” but the borescope shows impressive ‘firecracking’ - still shoots like a laser.

My shooting partner has a 28 in a Proof CF barrel and feeds it 195 Bergers moving around 3080 FPS. Never shoots excessive consecutive rounds or really hot loads (from a pressure standpoint). With a touch over 400 rounds through the tube, the throat has moved .015” - .020” but the borescope shows impressive ‘firecracking’ - still shoots like a laser.
Out of a box mag or Wyatt’s extended box?

The reamer I have only has a 0.181 freebore as I didn`t expect to be shooting 195ELD when I ordered it. I don`t even know if those bullets were available when I built the gun but it worked. I found out when I started having pressure issues I backed it out from the lands to a 0.020 jump and pressure went away and my average velocity is 3054 fps. I am feeding out of standard Remington bottom metal as it is a hunting gun. I did have to open the rails on the action a little and adjust the feed ramp. I have only shot it around 75 rounds so I am not sure with erosion.

Reactions: NorthWesterner