280AI with CIP Mags?

Woolsocks

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
Can a magazine be too long? I’m doing a build for a 280AI. I’d like to get BM for CIP length mags in case I decide to change to a larger caliber later. The action and stock are built for CIP, so…

Will there be any problems feeding a 280AI out of a CIP mag?

Can a magazine be too long? I’m doing a build for a 280AI. I’d like to get BM for CIP length mags in case I decide to change to a larger caliber later. The action and stock are built for CIP, so…
Get a bottom metal that will take both CIP and SAAMI length mags. Then use the best Mag length mags for your 280 AI and the best CIP mags for your magnums.

Will there be any problems feeding a 280AI out of a CIP mag?
I may be wrong but I believe the only CIP length mags available are for the magnum size case bodies. I would be cautious of trying to bend the lips down enough to retain the 280/30-06 diameter case body. Fair chance that by the time you got them bent down enough to hold the rounds, the result would but the top cartridge at the wrong point in space for the bolt to pick it up and strip it off.

Get a bottom metal that will take both CIP and SAAMI length mags. Then use the best Mag length mags for your 280 AI and the best CIP mags for your magnums.

I may be wrong but I believe the only CIP length mags available are for the magnum size case bodies. I would be cautious of trying to bend the lips down enough to retain the 280/30-06 diameter case body. Fair chance that by the time you got them bent down enough to hold the rounds, the result would but the top cartridge at the wrong point in space for the bolt to pick it up and strip it off.